cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Rocks_JS

New to becoming an Ex.

Hello folks, I have been a nicotine addict for around 40 years. I grew up in a smoker household so realistically, I am a 54+ years smoker. I have recently moved into a non-smoking environment and purchased a vehicle from a non-smoker. After a recent visit with my new Primary care doctor. We decided to try Chantix. I had tried patches in the past with little to no success. Anyway, I started on the Chantix and a week later I had to fly to see my daughter. I had purchased patches (24mg) for the flight. I noticed when I was with her using the combination of Chantix and patches that I really had no cravings at all and nearly the whole day had passed before I even thought about having a smoke. This gave me hope that I could possibly be able to conquer this addiction.

When I got home a started doing some research and found that it takes up to 11 days for the chemicals from smoking out of your system and 3 days for the nicotine. I have read in the past that on average it takes 21 days to break a habit. So, with this information I set up my dates. I stopped smoking on Feb 8th. I dropped the patches 11 days later. So far so good - everything was going exactly as planned. I had no cravings that could not be adjusted for. On day 22 I stopped taking the Chantix. This is when the plan came to a flawed conclusion. I managed to get through the first days cravings, but on day two I gave in (makes me sick to write this) I immediately went back on the Chantix and only had given into one cigarette - thankfully, it was a stale nasty one. I stopped Chantix again after 30 days and had the same result. How do I know when it is safe to stop taking the Chantix? I am not understanding the mental or physical challenges of this addiction. I have stopped other things in the past and have been clean and sober over 24 years. This one, cigarettes - however, seem to be my nemesis.

John

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
18 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

To begin, smoking is not a habit, it is a physical and psychological addiction.  There should be a recommended course for the Chantix.  Obviously, for you, it's more than 30 days -   I suggest you read up on it online or ask the doctor who prescribed it.  Yes, the nicotine is out of your system in about three days, after which your body (and mind) have to adjust to life without it.  THEN comes what I believe to be the most challenging part of the addiction - getting past all the associations and triggers you have built up over your smoking life.  Read on to understand more about what's going on and how to best beat it!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Rocks_JS

Thank You Nancy for your response. Some great information that is relative to my situation for sure. I have found my crutch to be my guitar. It keeps my hands and mind going in a different direction. I really did not get to much information from my doctor about the Chantix. I have friends who have used it, some successfully, others not and some of the side affects associated with its use. So I am not completely uninformed either.

Strangely, while on the Chantix I do not experience the cravings. I do get some triggers, but they are easy for me to rationalize and contain. I was anticipating a grueling transformation with this addiction while trying to stop. It never transpired or remotely became an issue until I stopped taking the Chantix. I fixed that by going right back on it and in a few hours later I would feel normal again.

John

0 Kudos
Beck37

Welcome! I also walked away from alcohol no problem over 14 years ago. Quitting smoking is so much tougher. Even if you drank a lot, chances are it wasn’t 24/7 every moment of the day for 54 years. It’s all about the attitude. You’ve got to totally block any thoughts of smoking out of your mind. Keep out of you head. It’s about willpower and refusing to let yourself down. 

This is is so doable if it’s something you really want. This site is filled with success stories and we are here for you. 

Beck

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex's  rocks_js John...I can't answer your question about Chantix and NRT because this time I quit cold turkey.  Always seemed to me all those things had withdrawl.  This time I only wanted one withdrawl.  I think quitting doesn't get the 28 day rule, but a one year rule.  It is about learning everything you did with a smoke, well doing without a smoke.  (first's of everything) (First Christmas, First vacation, first accomplishment, first stress, etc.,) and realize you can do these things without a cigarette.  This journey takes a lot of knowledge, preparation and soul searching.  You had a slip John, don't beat yourself up, but I suggest you go to My Quit Plan read (information about chantix and NRT's there) and become as knowledgable as possible.  Then prepare as much as possible for every situation.  You can do this and sometimes it takes a few try's until one of these quits sticks.  Please keep it here, there is no judgement and we help each other out...Happy Monday, Cheers to new beginnings ~ Colleen 98 DOF

karenjones

Coleen,  i find it hard to believe that you have only 98 days of feeedom. you sound like a very wise elder with 10 years of Quit.   bless you.

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

The biggest thing I can say is please take time to understand the addiction. It was key for me. I read the book THE EASYWAY TO QUIT SMOKING by Alan Carr and it was exactly what I needed. Its a very fast read and VERY informative.. Please read it.

Also a warm welcome being sent your way to I feel, the most compassionate Quit Site EVER!

. Don't beat yourself up.  We are here for you and won't abandon you. Knowledge is everything.  Everytime you light up, you wake up your brains receptors and set yourself up for the very next crave. You can do this.

karenjones

Yes indeed, I hear where you are coming from... Big time... Well now you are learning what a strong addiction it is... which is an important lesson,  respect the nicodemon.  You are lucky to have found this site, it played and still does play a big role in support for my quit.  i had a hard time quitting, but it is do-able.  you must get a quit tool box.  Welcome to EX. hope to see you around... karen

0 Kudos
Rocks_JS

Hi Karen, Yes, it is a brutal addiction for sure. My mother was a 3-pack a day smoker for most of her life until it took it from her. My father quit when he was around my age now, perhaps a bit younger. He stopped cold turkey in a house full of smokers. I have no idea how he did it - but he did. Both have passed on some time ago now. I am now surrounded by non-smokers and one ex-smoker. I found not being in a smoke environment has been a huge help. This last weekend I went out to a swap meet and I could smell the smoke on people and cigarettes in general. I may have caved if not with my friends, but I held strong. In the last 33 days I have had 2 and I consider that a huge win, but know 0 would be preferred.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

You are VERY lucky  those 2 cigarettes you smoked did not sabotage your quit. The Law of Addiction states:  "Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."Jul 29, 2007 - Whyquit.com.  Those cigarettes woke up the nicotine receptors in your brain after they had started to die off.    Try not to do that anymore! 

0 Kudos