Rocks_JS

New to becoming an Ex.

Discussion created by Rocks_JS on Mar 11, 2019
Latest reply on Mar 12, 2019 by YoungAtHeart

Hello folks, I have been a nicotine addict for around 40 years. I grew up in a smoker household so realistically, I am a 54+ years smoker. I have recently moved into a non-smoking environment and purchased a vehicle from a non-smoker. After a recent visit with my new Primary care doctor. We decided to try Chantix. I had tried patches in the past with little to no success. Anyway, I started on the Chantix and a week later I had to fly to see my daughter. I had purchased patches (24mg) for the flight. I noticed when I was with her using the combination of Chantix and patches that I really had no cravings at all and nearly the whole day had passed before I even thought about having a smoke. This gave me hope that I could possibly be able to conquer this addiction.

When I got home a started doing some research and found that it takes up to 11 days for the chemicals from smoking out of your system and 3 days for the nicotine. I have read in the past that on average it takes 21 days to break a habit. So, with this information I set up my dates. I stopped smoking on Feb 8th. I dropped the patches 11 days later. So far so good - everything was going exactly as planned. I had no cravings that could not be adjusted for. On day 22 I stopped taking the Chantix. This is when the plan came to a flawed conclusion. I managed to get through the first days cravings, but on day two I gave in (makes me sick to write this) I immediately went back on the Chantix and only had given into one cigarette - thankfully, it was a stale nasty one. I stopped Chantix again after 30 days and had the same result. How do I know when it is safe to stop taking the Chantix? I am not understanding the mental or physical challenges of this addiction. I have stopped other things in the past and have been clean and sober over 24 years. This one, cigarettes - however, seem to be my nemesis.

John

Outcomes