cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Going back to smoking places

I used to smoke on the front porch, every single morning, while drinking coffee and doing puzzles. Since I quit, we have cleaned the front porch from end to end, I've washed the cover that goes on the glider, and we've had the screens replaced. The last part was done about 4 weeks ago. But for 84 days, I have not sat on the front porch with the dog to watch the world go by ..... until today.

It's about 68° outside and I wanted to sit on my damned porch with my dog. And so, I did. Mini urges came and went, and after about 5 minutes of communing with the dog, I came inside. But you know what? I survived and didn't really want to smoke. It was more like I was reminded that I used to smoke there. But it's not the same. No ashtray, no ashy mess on my side table, and no cigarette trash everywhere. 

I can't wait till I can sit out there for 10 minutes and beyond.

Another forward step taken.

Donna

Day 84

Tags (1)
12 Replies
Sootie

Good for you! That's the way we do it...one step at a time. I WISH I could sit on my porch---but it is about 14 degrees here and has been what I call "ice chipping" all day long....it's not snow but it's not rain. And every blessed tree and railing and sidewalk is covered with ICE. So be grateful for your 68 wherever you are!

It is difficult to go places that were our regular smoking places. I could not sit.....ANYWHERE.....with a cup of coffee. I could stand and move around but the minute I sat----I wanted to smoke. Humans are funny creatures! I am 9 years quit now and the ONLY place where I ever think having a cigarette MIGHT be fun is at NASCAR (DON'TJUDGE! I go with my husband....it's fun to people watch. I don't really understand any of it but Pocono Raceway is about 10 minutes from our home.) Talk about a place that has not gotten the word about the evils of smoking.......it's NASCAR! Everyone smokes (and drinks)

Anyway---I digress-----good for you for conquering the porch for a bit. Next time will be longer. No sense in giving up something you loved doing. Now, you will love it as a non smoker.

Stay Strong

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

I've been to a race in Richmond and my husband and his brother go to the two races there every year. We watch on TV too  

Like you said, humans are funny creatures. 

0 Kudos
karenjones

Sootie,  i didn;t know you were quit for 9 years.  Congratulations! that is a milestone... i bet those NAscar drivers don't smoke...   My sister says that with the price of cigarettes in Canada, ($18 per large pack) that smoking is a rich mans game. But most of the people who smoke are poor.  Smoking keeps them poor.  my cousin has a neighbour who smokes and she often bumbs money from him to buy food.  he said 'well, she is poor'.  I said, if she did not smoke she wouldn[t be poor.  She spends over 400 a month on cigarettes.  that woudl pay the mortgage on a small house....

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Reconditioning happens one step at a time.  I was sitting at a stop sign, looking the other way, when two cars collided in the intersection and came at me - full force.  Drove my car about 20 feet backward into a telephone pole  - while I was hitting the brake as hard as I could.  I guess because I did not see it coming, I started with panic attacks whenever I would get in the car to go anywhere.  It would start in the house before I ever left,  and would be full blown by the time I opened the rental car door. I believed I should be able to deep breathe my way through it - but driving was like playing a video game..all the colors were so vivid,  extra bright, and everything seemed to come at me at lightning speed (flight or fight response).   I decided I needed to take this a step at a time, and knowing it would start when I NEEDED to drive, I formulated my plan.  I would be fixing my salad and (wait a minute - let me go for a short drive).  I would grab the keys and get out of the house before the attack could get full blown.  For the first two weeks I just drove around the block, going at different times and adding length to the drive over a couple of months.  I finally reconditioned myself that it was actually going to be OK to drive - and that was the end of that challenge.

GREAT start on your porch...itty bitty steps are what is called for.  Good for you for taking the first one!

Nancy

DonnaMarie

I'm beginning the 'drive around the block' phase. Glad you're okay!

karenjones

I have experienced that while driving too, but i just thought that it was nerves... you described it so well, the cars coming at ffast and the colours etc... i don;t have it much these days, but i had to quit driving for about 20  years... yes, 20 years

0 Kudos
Beck37

Good job! I have a beautiful back patio that’s also been deserted since I quit. As soon as it gets warm I will start using it again. It’s a wonderful place to get lost in my thoughts not to mention fun watching all the crazy critters running/playing in the yard. 

indingrl

Beautiful YOU and CONGRATS overcoming OLD SELF- GOOD JOB!!! 

0 Kudos
lqsi12

May you soon enjoy that spot the way it was intended, relaxing, along with breathing nice fresh air.......... with a puzzle !  

0 Kudos