Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tweasel

Just a little shook

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

First, all of the encouraging and informative responses are, well, really helpful and kind. You give me hope. This morning, delaying smoking for the forty five minutes hit hard!  My brain, my thoughts, not good. Am still here. No less motivated. Just a little shook.

My questions:

Is using notebook and pen to track my smokes okay?  .My phone is difficult to see when I am out busing around. If I reply to one email, does it go to the community, or, just that person?  

Slowing down is good advice, today my quit date feels scarey close. Kathy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IrishRose

Ah, I love that song.  When I was a little girl, my sister used to sing a special song to me.  Every night, I would wait in my bed for her to come in and sing this song.  You brought back such fond memories of her and that song... Too Ra Loo Ra Loo Ral (An Irish Lullaby).  I would "give the world if I could hear" my sister sing "That song of hers today".  Now, I am teary-eyed, but it is a good teary-eyed thing.  Thank you for drumming up such fond memories for both you and I.  

(((((hug))))),

Irish Rose

View solution in original post

27 Replies
anaussiemom

Anything you pen/write is awesome.  Fears, accomplishments, goals , small moments.   Everything you want to write down is great.  Write down why you feel shook.  It will help you work thru your feelings quite normal, I might add too!

Your doing great.  Breathe................One moment at a time for many of us is what it takes to get thru to the next.  It wont be like this/that for ever. 

Hugs KIm

tweasel

I have my notebook out.  And the rest of the day

to process. My smoking is mixed into my whole life.

Hugs back. Kathy

YoungAtHeart

GREAT start!  In a couple of days, start putting the least necessary ones off a bit while you get busy doing something else.  You will naturally cut back that way!

Work at this getting ready - read and read some more, too.

The better prepared you are, the less scary this will be!

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

tweasel‌ wrote:

My phone is difficult to see when I am out busing around. If I reply to one email, does it go to the community, or, just that person?  

When you are out and about and you reply to an email notification it will post your comment to the community as a reply to the person you responded to.  It allows you to keep participating without needing to login to reply.  For those who want to participate at work without their work knowing they're getting support on EX it also allows them to just use their email without broadcasting that they're going to becomeanex.org. 

When you reply on the site or via email and it is posted to the site, it will send a notification to anyone who is subscribed to/following the post(discussion, question, blog, document, etc) either because they have participated in it/authored it or have followed the place (Community/Group) that the post exists in. The reply does not go only to the person you're responding to. If you @mention a person they will also get a notification indicating that they have been mentioned even if they are not subscribed to the topic to let them know they are being talked about. I don't know of a way to do this via email so you'd need to login to the site to @mention someone if you want to get their attention.  

If you want to reply to the author of the topic use the "Reply to original ......" button when responding or if you want to respond to a specific comment from someone, respond to the email notification or click the "Reply" button in the box that contains the comment to respond to a specific person.  I sometimes try to respond to multiple people at once by using the Quote button (")  to copy their comment into my response and use an @mention to them so it gets their attention. That way i can respond to multiple people in one reply rather than a lot of individual responses which send out multiple notifications.  That is a little easier on a computer than on a phone however.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Giulia

This question:  "My phone is difficult to see when I am out busing around. If I reply to one email, does it go to the community, or, just that person? "  and your response would be very helpful in the Community Help section.  Might it be branched?

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Don't think I saw this in the responses.  You can also send  a Personal Message that only goes to that individual.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Barbscloud wrote:

Don't think I saw this in the responses.  You can also send  a Personal Message that only goes to that individual.

Absolutely, however I recommend participating in public,whenever possible, as it helps others. When things are taken to private messages it doesn't benefit the group as a whole. Certainly, I understand some topics may be private in nature and should be shared only with trusted people, in private. I find though that ensuring that you're as specific as possible while still keeping some anonymity with your identity has the best results and is often the most helpful. Your mileage may vary however.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
IrishRose

tweasel‌ , I kept a pad and wrote down every time I smoked.  I not only noted the time, I noted down the trigger that got me wanting to run off and have a cancer stick.  When you can see the triggers, you can start working on your behavior to avoid those triggers; you can amend your daily way of doing things, avoiding things that make you think you "need" to smoke, etc.  Plus, that notebook will keep your hands full, and less likely to be able to juggle holding a cancer stick, and keep your mind occupied to trip onto something else to get your mind off of smoking.  Stay committed.  Give your body four whole seasons to feel what it is like to be free.  Write down what you hate about smoking too - like stinking very similar to the bottom of an ash tray.  YUK!  (((((hug)))))

Irish Rose 

IrishRose

...  more money to fund your new hobbies too!!!!!!