cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mdye

I want a cigarette right now, help

I want a cigarette right now, help me! I did something really stupid tonight, I was in my kitchen working out to dance groove and I slipped on the floor and fell on my arm. It could be broke I'm not sure but I'm waiting until morning to see the doctor. Ice, ibuprofen, I can move my fingers everything is fine for now. Except for the pain, that is my words trigger. Pain. Pain and a smoke. They go together like peanut butter and jelly in my world. I need someone to talk to.

24 Replies

Hey Mdye! How are you doing now? I noticed you wrote this 8 hours ago! I hope you didn’t smoke.  I’m sorry you fell but smoking will not take the pain away.  I know how you feel though. I think it was 3 weeks into my quit and I sliced my finger at work. I had to have surgery on my finger and go to OT. I was mad and in pain and I thought about smoking...but I didn’t and I was so proud of myself.  That was a great feeling! Hang in there and keep us posted.

Barbscloud

Hope your better this morning and hope you didn't smoke.  Just about everything we do is going to make us think about smoking.  Once we can experience different things in our life without smoking, it will be easier the next time.  I had the thought yesterday because I was also having a first without smoking.  Knowing you can do builds your confidence so hand in there.

Barb

karenjones

Sheesh,  you are going to learn new reponses to life.  and it is expected that you will struggle for a bit. I know when I first attempted quitting and I would come on this site and people would talk about triggers I just threw my hands up in the air... being alive was a trigger for me, waking up a trigger. Everything was a trigger.  So I don't believe in triggers, it wasn't helpful for me. I too hope you didn't smoke.  It would just make you depressed that you smoked. and there you would be, back at day one again. Hold fast to your quit as if it is a raft in a huge ocean, hold fast to your quit and one day you will find you are on shore. you know what the alternative is.  I am saying a prayer for you and your sore arm.  Karen

karenjones

I agree with you on being alive was a trigger!  I never understood the triggers either

sweetplt

Hi and glad you came here before giving in to the trigger Mdye I am sorry I was not here to help, but in bed early...I think should have gone to ER if you think your arm is broken.  Being in ER you will not be able to smoke and you will put it to rest whether broken or not...now I am wondering how you are this morning? Please let us know...~ Colleen 95 DOF

YoungAtHeart

I am so sorry to hear of your fall.  I know about falling and broken bones WELL.  I can tell you that smoking a cigarette would not have helped with anything involved in the accident.  It would only lead to another cigarette, and another until you are right back to where you started.

Please check in with us when you know the diagnosis.  I hope you found something ELSE to do last night!

Nancy

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

DonnaMarie

That chemical chart is one of the reasons I'm quit. 

Donna

Day 82

Mdye‌ - Come on by and let us know how you're doing. 

maryfreecig

If I didn't want to smoke for a long time now, your uploads made me really, really, really not want to smoke!!!