cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mark.de.wet

Coughing up phlegm 6 months after quitting

Hi all, is it normal to start coughing up phlegm only 6 months after quitting as this is what I am experiencing at the moment. Any insight would be most appreciated, thank you.

Mark

6 Replies

Have you consulted a Doctor yet, Mark? I highly recommend it! Ask for a spirometry test. It may give you the help you are looking for. Congrats on 8 Months - that's huge!

Barbscloud

I would recommend checking with your doctor also.  Most folks have that experience early in their quit.  It's real easy to attribute everything to quitting, but it may not be.  Big congrats on you 8 months?  That's huge.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

I agree with those before me.  While every quit is different, and clearing out your lungs at this point in your quit is possible, I would check with your doctor.  It's not what most of us have experienced, I don't think.

Let us know what you find out

Congratulations on eight months.  That is great!

Nancy

sweetplt

We are not Doctors...you may need to see one...it could be you have developed a sinus infection and/or allergies...Congratulations on 6 months of freedom...~ keep us posted on how you are doing...~ Colleen 94 DOF

elvan

Congratulations on six months, that is HUGE.  Like others, I strongly recommend that you see your doctor.  It sounds like you could very well have an infection or allergies.  In any event, you need to know.  I know nothing about your history like how long you smoked, I remember when I quit that I felt "jealous" of fellow EXers who were talking about how great they felt after just a couple of weeks.  I smoked for 47 years and I did a LOT of damage to my lungs.  I did not feel like I was feeling anywhere near as great as others.  I saw a pulmonologist well over a year after I quit and I am sure that, along with quitting smoking, it saved my life.  Do what Thomas3.20.2010‌ advises, seriously, he IS an expert, he has made that his calling.  

Welcome to EX...stay close by, let us know what you decide and what happens.

Ellen

mark.de.wet

Thank you to all that replied, I will definitely go see a doctor, I just wanted to find out if anyone had experienced anything similar. To Elvan, I quite agree, I don't feel nearly as great as I thought I would after giving up smoking but also, I did smoke for 37 years so as you say that may have something to do with it.

Again, thank you to all and I will advise on what my findings are from the doctor. Thank you all also for all the congratulations.

Mark