cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Give and get support around quitting

I truly want to quit smoking but can't do it cold turkey. So I want to know will they send me the patches free of charge? Please someone help me..๐Ÿ˜”

Jump to solution

I need as much support as possible I'm not that strong especially with so much I am going through at the moment. So any help I could get would be a blessing.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

missynbenji8615 

As mentioned in my email response to you, based on your registration you don't qualify to receive quit aides from us but you should  contact your state's quit line, your county health department and/or your healthcare provider to find out what options would be available, if you are in need.  The EX Community is a great resources for getting support. Educating yourself using the materials provided here on the community and on www.becomeanex.org and getting in on the action here in the community beneficial to your quit success.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

4 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

missynbenji8615 

As mentioned in my email response to you, based on your registration you don't qualify to receive quit aides from us but you should  contact your state's quit line, your county health department and/or your healthcare provider to find out what options would be available, if you are in need.  The EX Community is a great resources for getting support. Educating yourself using the materials provided here on the community and on www.becomeanex.org and getting in on the action here in the community beneficial to your quit success.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

You might try 1-800-Quit-NOW for a beginning supply of patches.  Keep in mind that you will have extra money in your pocket when you stop buying cigarettes, too!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's โ€œThe Easy Way to Stop Smoking.โ€ This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch.   Good idea to check out how to get  the patches at no or little cost.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

elvan

PLEASE pay attention to all that YoungAtHeartโ€Œ has shared with you and please, please, please THINK about what cigarettes are really doing FOR you...they are satisfying your addiction briefly but they are not fixing anything.  If something was wrong BEFORE you smoked, it is STILL wrong afterwards.  Quitting is a one day at a time journey, sometimes, it is one FEELING at a time.  Just know that you CAN do this, don't underestimate yourself, you are stronger than you think.  Stay close to the site, read and read and read some MORE.  Plan things to do INSTEAD of smoking...SING, DANCE, play computer games, go for walks, I used the mantra NOPE, Not One Puff Ever when I came here.  I DID stay close to the site and I STILL do after over five years of freedom.  I credit this site with the success of my quit despite many challenges that would, in the past, have been MY excuses to smoke.

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Magstoyou

As Mark said, contact your health department in your town. I started going to a group at the health department in my town. And they supplied gum, and patches etc. The group helped me and that is where I found out about this site. I did the patches and I am 2058 days of not smoking. The people on this site walked with me on my journey. This site is very supportive. You can do it. Mags 

0 Kudos