AnsweredAssumed Answered

What Defines A Person's Worth?

Question asked by minihorses on Mar 3, 2019
Latest reply on Mar 15, 2019 by minihorses

Many of you know that I have a 26 year old son with Asperger's Syndrome ('High Functioning' Autism).  He is VERY intelligent but functions at about a 14 or 15 year old's development.  After 13 years of waiting he finally got CAP/IDD funding  (Community Alternatives Program for people with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities).  He just got a case worker who is helping him function outside of our home working toward an independent life.  We both love this new helper to death.  He is so good with my son and my son started to actually talk to him a bit on their first day out together!  That's unheard of for him.

Yesterday my son asked me if he deserved to get the funding.  What made him worthy of having help over someone with more severe autistic disabilities?  I tried to explain that it was finally his turn and he was worth the services because he needs them to be more self-sufficient and maybe got a job and live away from home someday.  He said that doesn't mean he is worth the funding.  All the love, hugs, pride, I showed him didn't answer his curiosity.  He also didn't believe that his worth is based on who he is on the inside.  So I looked up worth in the dictionary and got this:  

Worth is defined as "the value equivalent to that of someone or something under consideration; the level at which someone or something deserves to be valued or rated by what and how much a person does".

Obviously this is not the definition I want to convey so if anyone has a good, simple answer I could use or incorporate into my explanations please post so I have a better answer for him.  Thanks, I can always count on you all for a great myriad of possibilities and thoughts in everything, not just helping me become a proud EX-er.

Outcomes