cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

amiray39

Heavy Smoker for Years

I have been smoking since I was 11. I am now 40. I have attempted quitting seriously 3 times in my life. My last attempt was about 10 1/2 years ago. I lasted 8 months.

For a week now, I have told myself that tomorrow would be the day. Yesterday, I realized that tomorrow never comes. So, I started searching for help and found this site.

I am conflicted. I like this and it makes me feel hooeful but I worry if I can really do it. I have set my quit date to March 14th, identified my triggers which is everything and today tracked every cigarette I smoked. 

I realized I want a cigarette about every 30 minutes and so I decided to push myself to go an hour and have done pretty good with that. Tomorrow, my goal is not to smoke when I first wake up and to push myself to go an hour and a half without a cigarette. I want to use the 2 weeks to beat my triggers.

15 Replies
Gwenivere

I think that is wise.  I didn’t have a choice so it is learn as I go.  And it just keeps coming.  But I would caution about getting obsessed as that may heighten your anxiety about the decision.  I got great advice here to stop googling everything as it didn’t help with conflicting sites.  I’m a newbie at just over 2 months.  The elders will have more to offer.  Just know you can come here and ask, complain, feel proud about.  I had no idea how hard it would be, but finding others felt the same things really helps. 

0 Kudos
amiray39

Thank you. I can get onsobses and over anxious. I will be cautious.

0 Kudos
Giulia

Welcome!!!  Sounds like you're starting off on the right foot with a plan.  The stronger your preparation, the deeper you knowledge about this addiction and it's tricks and traps, the more likely your success.  Sit back, read and learn.  And yell when you need help.  That's what we're here for!  Glad you've joined us.  Cheers!  And have heart.  You've done it before, you can do it again.   /blogs/Giulia-blog/2018/03/01/quitting-is-a-skill-that-can-be-learned?sr=search&searchId=0c9d9caa-3c...

amiray39

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

Welcome to Ex~ Your at the right place  Take the time before your quit to read lots of blogs on this site. Theres a wonderful short read book by Alan Carr called the EASYWAY TO QUIT SMOKING. I highly recommend it. Its absolutely awesome and will further help you in this journey.Anyhow, welcome!

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  Education and preparation are the key to success.  Understanding this addiction has made all the difference for me.  Having a quit date and preparing in advance, leads to success.  There is great support here to help your succeed.  If you need help, reach out.  We're here for you.

354 DOF

sweetplt

Hello and Welcome to ex’s, congratulations on your hard work preparing for your quit date.  I find knowledge and preparation is the give.  Most of all, never give up quitting because one of them will stick like glue.  We are here to help.

Happy Saturday ~ Colleen

elvan

Welcome to EX, education about nicotine addiction, support from other addicts, and your own commitment will get you through anything.  Quitting is NOT easy, in my opinion, it is an up and down roller coaster and when we quit, we feel things with much more intensity that we did when we smoked.  Stay close to the site, read blogs, here are a couple that might help you:  the first is by YoungAtHeart‌ For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too) and the second is by JonesCarpeDiem‌ /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

We are here and we all want to help in any way that we can.  I lost count of how many times I TRIED to quit but that was before I found EX...now I have been free for over five years.

Ellen

Getting yourself off auto-pilot is great.