cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ozzymom

NEED to start today but how

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum but certainly not new to trying to quit.  I've been a smoker for almost 40 years and tried to quit more times than I can count.  In fact I actually did quit real cigs about 2 years ago but did it with the help of an e cig & now i'm addicted to that.  In fact, i really think i love the e cig cause i can use it anywhere...which i do.  i vape in the car, my house & even in my office at work.  In fact i vape all day long every day!  Now i'm going to be starting a new job in a month where i can't vape in the office.  My junkie brain is telling me that i need the vape in order to learn & concentrate & that without it, i'll get that foggy feeling i always get when i try to quit & as a result, i'll screw up at my new job.  Talk about pressure!!!!  So i figured i have a month in which to get quit vaping.....or at least get past that foggy brain, can't concentrate part of the quit before i start my new job.

Now i realize this is not the best situation in which to start a quit but the more i think about, the more i realize how badly i'm addicted to this damn vape stick & that if i  was ever going to have a good reason to give it up, this would be it.  Not that the new  job is reason enough....I do want to quit but this will be a motivating factor.

Now the question becomes how.  I've got the patches, gum, plenty of water & day filled with the prospect of working on my taxes to keep me busy but will NRT just prolong my agony?  I'm thinking i should just go cold turkey but when i wore a step one patch the other day, life wasn't so bad.  I made it all day at work without vaping but crashed when i got in the car.  I just want to be past this "can't concentrate...funny feeling in my mouth" phase which makes me focus so much on vaping.  I know once i get past that part I can make it past the "habit" part of the addiction.

Sorry to be babbling but it has been about 10 hours since i've had any nicotine so i guess that "foggy" part has already started.

Any advice or encouragement y'all can offer would be much appreciated 

Thanks

22 Replies
indingrl

CONGRATS ON HOURS NICOTINE FREE- thanks so much sharing- it was SUGGESTED to ME to educate MYSELF about MY nicotine addiction not ANYONE else and to READ blogs by the EX team here and blogs by Dr Hays and to watch videos at whyquit.com with Joel who has been HELPING nicotine addicts for over 40 YEARS! gentle hug.

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex's...Glad you came and made the decision to quit smoking...it takes work, but is doable...I found after many failed quits that the difference in this quit; it is my last.  Also, I feel knowledge and preparation are the key.

I suggest you go to My Quit Plan and read and work the program.  Keep close to the site, we are here to help each other on this journey.  And it is a journey...~ Colleen 90 DOF

Barbscloud

Good morning ozzymom‌  I read this early this morning and thought I had responded.  Welcome to the Ex.  There's great support her from "elders" as well as new quitters.  We're all in this together to support each other on our journey.  Cold turkey or NRT--whatever works for you to be successful.  There's no right or wrong.  Read, read, and read some more.  There's great information here to help through each stage of your quit.   If you need help, reach out.  We're here for you.

Barbara

TW517

For something as serious and difficult as quitting an addiction, I don't like what I call "bumper sticker" advice.  But I saw this yesterday and your blog title made me think of it.  Let's call this encouragement instead of advice .  Welcome to EX!  Glad you are here!

Barb102

Welcome. There is so much info here to help you. All of us have been right where you are so we understand.  Be strong, stay busy read everthing you can on this site. You can do it and we will help you

lqsi12

Hi your at the right place for answers, we all got our own directions for answers, so there are many !  What works for one is not successful for others.  Sorry for that, but, you have so many choice to try and probably fail, but eventually you will be successful, the most important thing is not to give up, and just keep trying,   For me, I quit cig's 25 years ago  ( with cessation classes, visual and physical aids, as well as, the prescription Nicorette not sure how many mg's of nicotine per piece )  and that gum was awful.  Now I believe it's much better, but not sure of that.                                    My suggestions are, to DeNic yourself and as you do, find some great healthy hand to mouth snack, Little carrots, apple slices, celery with peanut butter, grapes, you get the idea to work with.  Come here often, read, ask, understand and advise, thats working for me A LOT !  Just a human man here trying get thru what so many here are attempting to do.  Personally I will always be addicted, I just need to make it my choice not to include nicotine or any substance that will in excess harm my body. 

Best of Prayers for ya !

BugsNBats14

45 years a smoker.

Day 62 without a puff.

Hard.

I've gained weight.  I'm bitchy mood. Have mints and lemon drops helps.

Feel itchy, anxious, and mean at times  but that is getting less. I know you can do it too.

Some do cold turkey.

I started with 14 mg patch.

Then 7mg, now 2nd day of cutting that in half to 3.5.  Have 6 left, so 12 days.

Best wishes.

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX, You have come to the right place to get support to quit smoking.  Start first by educating yourself on addiction to nicotine. Foundation For A Successful Quit‌ this blog will give you a jump start.  Also, it is advisable to read Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking which can be found on pdf on the web.  Another good site to get info is www.whyquit.com.  There are several articles to read.  Nicotine 101 and Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home.  Quitting takes planning and preparation go to EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  to get help on navigating the site go to. Community He My lp‌.  Again Welcome, there is more to come.  If you have any questions you can do a search with the magnifying to respond glass type any keywords and research.  If you have any questions just ask and give up the opportunity

maryfreecig

I'm a firm believer in building smobriety one day at a time once a decision has been made to quit, a plan has been written and agreed to, a quit time also agreed on. For me, my quit time came 5.4 years ago and was based on buying a carton of cigarettes and calling it my last--so I did not have an approximate date. Whether it is smart turkey, NRT or whatever, your decision to quit is in your hands--the methods can offer some help, but quitting starts with you. Ex is here to listen, to help everyday of the year. Please read, look the plan page, look inward and decide on what feels right for you.

Only one way to quit--one day at a time.

Thanks for telling your story. And welcome to Ex!