cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Barb102

Need Pulmonary Rehab

Went to pulmonary doc today. It’s been getting harder for me to do things and breathe. I do one thing and rest. The stairs leave me breathless. He said my COPD and Emphysema is worse and sending me for tests. Blood oxygen is low. Added a new steroid and wants me to start Pulmonary rehab. I’m waiting to hear if insurance covers it. I’m very nervous. I guess I thought not smoking would make it better. I don’t think it can. I think it would have just made it worse. I’m very nervous and not really sure what lung rehab is. It’s 3x a week for 8 weeks. Sorry I’m just feeling down 

there are worse things and I’m here having a pity party. I guess it’s because I did this to me. Please newbies keep your quits and don’t turn out like me. I don’t smoke anymore but the damage is done

Tags (1)
28 Replies
Mandolinrain

Im so sorry to hear this. I know how down in the dumps this must be for you. Sending you hugs and encouragement. Im very glad your not smoking anymore . Whatever comes we will be here to support you. Never apologies for feeling down, we all need lifted up now and then. xoxoxo sending prayers your way NOW! 

anaussiemom

So sorry.  32.gif

Sootie

Barb----several of our EXcommunity members have had or are still doing pulmonary rehab....I am sure they will be along to re-assure you very soon. For my part, I do not know anything about it but I know feeling guilty that we all did this to ourselves is unproductive. We did. Move on. You are here now in the land of freedom and maybe quitting will help you.......it may take longer than you expected. In any case, at least you are not causing more damage. I know you will soon work this through in your mind and be back to your usual positive self.

Stay Strong.

Jennifer-Quit

So sorry - I  know that several here has gone through the rehab and had good results. Cannot remember now who has done this - maybe @elvan?  I am sure that some who are experienced and knowledgeable on this will be here and chime in.  Best wishes Barb! 

anaussiemom

I have not heard of it.  I pray you hear from some people who have done the therapy as well ❤️

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Barb102)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

YoungAtHeart

My search revealed several blogs about it which may help allay some of your fears:

Pulmonary Rehab 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/copd/blog/2015/07/06/pulmonary-rehab-week-3-exacerbations 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/copd/blog/2015/06/15/pulmonary-rehab 

You can do a search with the magnifying glass in the upper right to find all of the blogs written or mentioning the subject.  Thomas3.20.2010 has a wealth of information on COPD and rehab on his page.

Not to be feared - it is meant to help you deal with the disease(s) and reduce the onset of a worse case condition.

Don't be angry with yourself over this - you did the best thing you could be quitting - and that's all you could do.....keep in mind that there are still plenty of folks out there with this diagnosis who are STILL smoking!

Nancy

elvan

I did go to Pulmonary Rehab after I had my lung surgery.  They started with 2x/week and worked up to 3x/wk.  Much of it was education about COPD and diet and exercise.  I would go in and they would check my weight and oxygen saturation and blood pressure and then they would direct me to do their warm up (I was ALWAYS forgetting the warm up and the cool down).  They had machines for me to work out on...a stationary bike, a treadmill, an arm bike, a recumbent elliptical, and it seems there were one or two more.  They monitored my oxygen saturations during the time on the machines and took my blood pressure before and after I used them.  I have really low blood pressure so at the end, they often made me chug two cans of V-8 juice.  I drank water the entire time I was working out.  I also had a meeting with the dietitian to make sure I was eating right and I had a consultation with a pulmonary therapist who told me to blow bubbles to mimic the way I am supposed to empty my lungs so I can take air in.  Breathe in through your nose and count to five and then exhale through pursed lips counting to at LEAST ten while you exhale.  I think it helped me to figure out what I could do in terms of working out.  I had to be put on oxygen to do the treadmill because my saturations dropped dramatically on that and sometimes on the bike.  I use a stationary bike now ten miles a day, five days a week and I do other exercises with the bike three times a week.  I have noticed that I have days when I am MUCH worse, my breathing is significantly more labored.  Eat right...exercise when you can.  Oh, they started me at five minutes on each machine and then worked up to ten minutes.  I could not do the treadmill with ANY incline and I had fairly low settings for the bike but I ROCKED the arm bike and the elliptical which I LOVED.

This disease is progressive and there are some times that are significantly more challenging than others...not smoking and exercising and eating right are our first defenses against its progress.  

Hugs,

Ellen

sweetplt

Barb102 I am so sorry to hear you are having a rough time.  I too, was at my pulmonologist today.  The weather in PA is hurting my lungs and sinus.  Anyways, I think the rehab actually might help you improve.  What  I know from breathing rehab, it helps to make your lungs stronger.  Keep us posted and I am sending hugs out to you...~ gotcha in my prayers ~ Colleen

indingrl

Thank you so much for sharing Barb. Awe and no worries because it is OK to FEEL and go THROUGH YOUR OWN FEELINGS- they PASS and MORE come and they are fickle and it is scary of the unknown with TESTS of all kinds in this TEST of life on lifes terms and it is courageous of YOU -  MY beloved Barb to share YOUR HEART- prayers lifted in MY Lord Jesus name amen- in HIS love- please take what HELPS and let go of the rest- thank you. Gentle hug.