cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

wyndee-walker

I am a cold turkeyer

Today is my first day. I threw away all my cigarettes.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
rj_

Outstanding, another convert....there is many benefits to cold turkey, mainly it faces the issues straight on, I am attaching a PDF that provides a lot of educational materials I believe the success I enjoy today is directly related to finding the sight it came from.

there is to much info in there to even start here, but take a read, and you will benefit,

Regards, RJ - Free and Healing for Two Years, Thirteen Days, 2 Hours and 19 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 103 Days and 8 Hours, by avoiding the use of 29764 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $6,138.57.
0 Kudos
ellen5

Hello Wyndee! And welcome to this group. I see you are also a member of closet smokers. I, too, was a closet smoker for many years. Or so I thought. The only person I hid it from was my teenage daughter, who knew all along I was still smoking. So, not only was I killing myself, I was lying to my very impressionable daughter. It's kind of hard to tell your kid not to lie when they catch you at it!
Anyway, I think cold turkey is the way to go. I've probably quit 20 times, and this last time, I decided that I would NOT use nicotine replacement (which only serves to keep you addicted to the drug). I mean, if you think of it, they don't recommend that alcoholics "just cut down" until they stop, right?
I will celebrate (and I MEAN celebrate!) one year on October 26. I have no doubt that I am now an ex-smoker, the few times that I have been around smokers, I felt ill. No desire whatsoever. So, hang in there, visit this website often and remember that you CAN do it!
0 Kudos
jennifer84

Wow One year? Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! But after all the reading Ive done in all the groups how come almost EVERYONE relapses??????????????? I don't understand, this is my first time quiting but I couldn't imagine starting up again and going through the detox all over again.... I really don't understand relapsing once you've gone so far
0 Kudos