cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Yes or no?

Is No Man's Land cigarette free or nicotine free?  I’m almost 3 months off smokes and my brain is lost in la la Land. I am using NRT's.  

16 Replies
Aew1031

I have to say nicotine free.  That’s only my opinion though.  Nicotine is still a noose around your neck (and your life) feeding your addiction.  That said, it is still an accomplishment and SO good for you to be tobacco free.  So I guess I really didn’t answer your question LOL.

indingrl

Nicotine FREE- which I believe YOU Gwenivere know in YOUR HEART- there is no easy softer way- it is SUGGESTED to educate YOURSELF about YOUR OWN NICOTINE ADDICTION- Dr Hays and the EX team wrote blogs on addiction-also at whyquit.com has videos with Joel who has been HELPING NICOTINE ADDICTS FOR OVER 40 YEARS-   Please check them out for YOURSELF- don't take MY word on their blogs- please read them for YOURSELF- thank you Gwenivere and CONGRATS AND GOOD JOB- TODAY with YOUR NRT PLAN WHAT WORKS FOR YOU! Yahooooooo and WAY TO GO!

sweetplt

Nicotine free...Happy Sunday Gwenivere 

Barbara145

Cigarette free.  Nicotine is not the culprit, tobacco is.  Read the research.  Mayo Clinic. I personally believe part of your problem is your anti-anxiety meds.  I think you are addicted.  Take care of yourself.  Have a blessed Sunday.  

Gwenivere

Thanks Barbara145.  I’ve done a lot of reading about research regarding nicotine.  It’s been Used as an effective pain killer in some cultures.  Not in the form of cigarettes, of course.

Yes, I am on anxiety meds.  Panic disorder is not a choice, it’s a medical condition that requires intervention like diabetes, asthma, thyroid conditions, etc, unlike choosing to smoke.  The word is dependent, not addiction, when you require medication to live a functioning life.

I was on NRT also.  and really NML is the space where you have people telling you you should be over it and you feel you just can't shake the thought of smoking.  This is the point where I've seen people slip because they think, hmmm, it's been 130 days I should be over this already.  Think outside of the box with me for a moment.  For years we used smoking as our friend, our confidant, our comforter.  It's the first thing we reached for when an emotion popped up and we didn't know how to handle it.  Years back when we first started, we started because of peer pressure or a boost to our confidence.  Slowly we began developing emotional ties to smoking.  It helps us relax, it made us feel better, it made us concentrate, the list goes on.  Be built years and years of memories and kept pumping more and more nicotine into our bloodstreams.  We have the habit of hand to mouth with the motions of smoking and we have the physical and later emotional dependence on smoking.  I know when I had an overwhelming urge to smoke, I always stopped myself and said, what would a nonsmoker do in this situation, someone who has never smoked in their life?  We each individually deal with life stressors differently because we are all unique from one another.  That's what makes quitting difficult, we all have our own plan tailored to each of our lives.  No one quits the same or has an exact timeline.  Thoughts of smoking will always pop up from time to time.  But with time the urges become less, the thoughts drift away because you're moving through life replacing those memories.  The brain is readjusting itself from being fed dopamine and there's a chemical process going on.  give it the time it needs.  In my case it took around 190 or so days to finally level off and a year to really get back into the swing of thing.  but remember during that year, I was replacing memories of certain annual events going on, cookouts, anniversaries, birthdays, holidays.  Don't sweat the labels and the acronyms.  Just allow yourself the time to heal......

Gwenivere

I think I will drop the acronyms.  They muddy the water for me.  My brain is addled enough by the quit.    thanks for that suggestion.  crazymama_Lori

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Not one PUFF.  It is what's between the ears.  If you think you can't then you can't.  If you think you can then you can. It is not about NML... It is about you. What you are willing to do not to ever take another puff no matter where you are in your quit.  If you are using the NRT's correctly there is a point where you will be weaning from them also.  Follow your plan. Just be aware that you are on the brink of true freedom. Never give up,m never give in.  So let it all go. 

maryfreecig

Has to be that not everyone goes through no man's land. Some see the light, some feel the heat. I suspect (oops you asked for Yes of No!!!) that those who feel the heat (like myself) go through NML, whereas those who see the light do not because they have closure to begin with. And so I think (more opinions!!!) that NML happens whether one quits cold turkey or NRT. You've achieved a lot of milestones, keep em coming!!!  Happy almost 3 months!