cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

MattRoux98

How can I treat my significant other better during my withdrawals?

Hi I’m new to this but I know what I’m here for. So I have this question. Quitting has been very hard for me and I’ve been treating my girlfriend very bad lately because of withdrawals. Any relationship advice with trying to quit?

I’m worried about relationships due to my withdrawals 

11 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

Always good advise to think before you speak - and I need to listen to my own advise some times - 

Barb102

Hey Matt welcome. Most of us have been where you are. You know it’s wrong and you want it to stop. That’s a great start. I need one of the Elders to help you find the letter to spouse/ significant other. It’s great I read it and printed for my husband. It’s about please understand that I don’t meant to be this way. I know one of the Elders will send you the link. I’ll keep look. Please stay your quit it will get better

0 Kudos
Barb102

I found it. Go under search and type in lettter to a loved one. Let me know that you find it. After all this time it still brings tears to my eyes. Barb

JACKIE1-25-15

/blogs/Anacondahead-blog/2012/01/25/letter-to-a-loved-one , writing a letter may help explain.   Keep it posted so both can read. 

Barb102

Thanks Jackie this is it!!!!

YoungAtHeart

Not a bad idea, after the letter is read, to apologize AHEAD of time for any snarkyness, lack of patience, etc. and promise to make it up to them with an evening out, or a weekend away, with the money you will be cigarette cost saving when your quit is more secure.  

Keep in mind, too, that your breath and clothing will no longer smell like a dirty ashtray - something ELSE to which they can look forward!

elvan

Stay close to the site and come here and vent...we want you to succeed with as little damage to your relationship as possible.  This is a journey and it is one day at a time.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

KMC56

I prepared myself with as much knowledge which this site provided...and I informed them all I was going to quit smoking, and it might not be pretty!!  By opening up to them, and our understanding of each other, (they are sadly still smokers). It was my life and lifestyle, not theirs was going to change, theirs was not.  Really, the next part was fairly easy...I knew irration would be an open wound.  I would recognize my irration...and controlled it myself...I was in controll at all time, sort of like being aware of your surroundings.  I`d grab a few fruit lifesavers..or my cold ice water bottle.  That was my main concern not to be a monster to them...and it worked.  There were a few times I would just pause, and let them know...I was having a nic moment.  

You can do this, and keep your loved ones in tact!!

~Kathy

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex's...congratulations on your decision to quit smoking.  First, inform your significant other of some of the side effects of quitting and two are a bit moody and grouchy.  Perhaps she can come to the site and see the effects of withdrawal.  Then, I suggest you "think before you speak" and you can do this by counting to 10 before saying anything.  Also, I have found daily meditation helps to keep the stressfulness of the quit at bay.  Keep close to the site to show your aggravations here in the cyber world instead of in your 3D world...KTQ...~ Colleen