cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Animals12

Anxiety trigger got me

Hello everybody. Yesterday was terrible and I smoked. I have dabilitating anxiety. So bad I had to quit my job and seek treatment. This is what lead me here to get healthy and deal with stress in a different way. Plus the stomach problems. Well anyway last year has tested me in a way I never thought was possible. On top of all that , anxiety I was telling myself just 5 more minutes, my husband got in a car wreck and Bam my life turned upside down. I was uncontrollably crying I couldn't eat, sit up straight, hold a conversation.  I took paxil and got super depressed and sick. Now I'm off paxil and take anxiety meds. They told me I may not be able to get anymore  because my therapist who prescribed them to me retired. I  freaked out And smoked. Does anybody else struggle with mental health? I'm running out of my medicine and that's just adding to the fear of quitting. I know I need to do this. I got really sick and I want to be able to hold a job and not need cigerates. I feel like I'm in a pickle. I feel alone

21 Replies
AnnetteMM

I'm sorry all that sh*t happened to you. Life really sucks sometimes and sometimes we need help. It's a shame you felt you had to turn to smoking for that help. Did it? Did it help? Did you find a new therapist? 

Animals12

No I haven't found a new therapist but I'm working on it. They will call me to make appiontments . Just have to be patient. Thank you for listening. 

sweetplt

I am sorry you are dealing with so much.  Did smoking help change any situation ?  Most likely No...

i deal with general anxiety, but had as a smoker.  I dealt with it by learning meditation, praying and giving my stress up to the Lord, smoking never helped my anxiety.  And I don’t think it’s helping you, but nicodemon is giving you lies.  Don’t beat yourself up, but read and do the program and know eventually the quit will actually help your anxiety.  Sending a prayer up for you.  Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen

Animals12

No it didn't help. It made me feel worse. I will try and remember that feeling and not slip next time I get overwhelmed . I am reading a lot and yesterday my phone was down I couldn't come to the site . I love you guys your my voice of reason right now. 

sweetplt

This is great sweetie...your learning by it...and moving on...I am so proud of you...~ Colleen

anaussiemom

The answer to you question is Yes I do.  Anxiety, depression kicks in from all the anxiety.  Basically Anxiety causes an imbalance in the brain from stress to much stress from via anxiety.   There are hundred of ways to help with anxiety on here on the web thru nutrition, thru mayo clinic..

Are you ready?  Are you prepared...Lets get you prepared.    Some wonderful people will give you some awesome links to help and you can do just small things, as well one is breathe!  Simple and effective.

I have to go.. Lots of people are going to walk you thru the anxious feelings of quitting, causes.

Hugs KIm
Animals12

YoungAtHeart

I hope you will take the time to do the recommended reading and prep work.  It really CAN make a difference.  That cigarette you smoked reduced your anxiety because it shut up the brain sensors demanding their fix.  THAT anxiety was caused by the last cigarette you smoked, and the one before THAT caused the stress reduced by the NEXT one you smoked - and on, and on.  You are an addict  - and cigarettes were designed ON PURPOSE to create it.  They only give a momentary bit of relief before the process starts all over. 

It sounds like you are dealing with a lot of life stress.......and I am sorry that is going on.  But - how do you think people who never smoked, or those of us who have quit deal with it?  We take slow, deep breaths; we do a set of stairs; we march in place; we call a friend; we come here and vent.  You need to find a new doctor for your Rx - ASAP.  Did your doctor have someone take over the practice?  If so - your records should still be accessible and you probably can get a supply until you get an appointment.  You might also go to an Urgent Care place - they do routine care in them, too.  I hope you are understanding that smoking did not one thing to help with any of the situations with which you are dealing?

Get back to quitting as quickly as you can.  Let us help!

Nancy

elvan

Please don't accept that you "might" not be able to get your meds...find another therapist, SOMEONE is going to understand and help you either with your current meds or with something else.  Don't give up.  Smoking is NOT going to help you, take it from someone who fell for that over and over again.  I would give just about anything to go back and quit when I was younger and my lungs were less damaged.  COPD is horrible, smoking does NOTHING for anxiety or depression or sadness or anything else, smoking just helps your addiction to dig in.  

Please quit again as soon as possible, you really CAN do this and we will support you in any way that we can.

Ellen

Animals12

Thank you for reaching out, I am definitely going to find new doctor and therapist but I have no money right now. So I will keep trying but I don't think I'm going to get my anxiety med unfortunately.