cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

opannod

The urge has struck

It's 8:20 AM and the urge for a cigarette is here. I'm on here instead of going out to my car to get a cigarette though. I live alone an when the urge strikes, I think I'd like a smoke. My next thought is "No one will know if I slip up and have one with coffee." I'll know and they are my lungs, I need to be strong and fight the urges. Slow, deep breathing helps right now. What works for you?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
mr1957

I live alone if you dont count the black muut that gets me up in the morning. If I'm not stopping smoking for me, I'm wasteing my time. If you want to stop, why have cigs in the car? I go from 0 to puffmaster in about 6 sec. It is hard, but the only way to stop is stop! There isnt an easier softer way Bro. I am a relapser and only have 5 days. I will need this said back to me sometime. Stick around and maybe your the one who will tell me....Later
0 Kudos
pete-gustin

I don't really live alone, but my biggest trigger/weakness is being alone. I am perfectly okay with not smoking until I finally get some "Pete Time" where, as they say, "no one will ever know." Every relapse has come when I was alone.
Quit the quit just today when spouse called to say she wouldn't be home til late. I ran out and bought a pack. How juvenille is that??
I also travel for my job and I can't remember ever going into a new city without the urge to smoke. I so wish I could get past this...
peteg
0 Kudos
suzzy12345

Down deep you will know, and the guilt will get you in the long run. Think of all the pros and cons of sneaking that one smoke....... This is a addiction.....it is a uphill battle that is going to be hard to climb....until we get closer to the top. Overcoming the urges, tempations.....is what you should focus on......and think of the positive outcomes of not smoking.
0 Kudos
nancie

It is 2:59 CST and I am craving like a tweeker! Today is the second day without a smoke and it is driving me nuts. Have been on Chantix for 2 months. Am still a 3 a day smoker....from a pack a day for 44 years. Yes I do live alone unless you count the revolving door that brings my grandchildren in and out. I put the ashtrays away and it doesn't matter, I can always find somewhere to put it.

It is easy to backtrack when you are living alone, and for me living alone and not having that extra support there is one that would surely be helpful to those that don't. We have a lot more time on our hands usually.

Try walking outside when you get that urge. Even if it is just for a couple minutes. It seems to help me. Keep with it, I know we can do it now....because we aren't alone any longer...we have brought a friend into our homes to help us and who understand what we are going through.
0 Kudos
nancie

If I am in the house sometimes I use that as a time that the garbage needs to go out or some other chore needs to be done. It seems that once I am done with the chore the urge has passed. For me, I think it is just getting up and doing something else.

Nancie
0 Kudos