cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

tiffy

Any Thoughts?

I used chatix before with no ill effects...actually seemed to be doing the trick. I changed jobs and everyone there smoked...ALOT. Decided that it probably wasn't a great idea to try and quit at that time. Besides...I guess I just wasn't ready.
I still have all of the chantix with the exception of the 1st week start up. Has anyone just started using the 1mg without taking the .5mg blue ones first? Or what about breaking the 1mg in half? Any input would be appreciated.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
emily5

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to cut the 1mgs in half, but check with your doctor. When I started chantix, i followed the directions exactly, and by the time i was starting the 1mg's i was so ready to quit. I think that's the way it's developed to work, it gradually builds up in your system, so you don't want to smoke. give it a shot, i think you'll be suprised at how well it works. It did awesome for me, I smoked 2 and a half packs a day. I couldn't go more than two hours at a time without one. It's been a month for me now, and I NEVER crave a cigarette. When I smell other people smoking, the smell nauseates me. it used to make me want one..I heard someone call Chantix "magic beans". I believe that is true.
Good Luck,

Emily
0 Kudos
adam14

Since I had quit prior to talking to my doctor about it, he actually prescribed the #60 of the 1mg tabs with the directions to take 1/2 tab daily for 1 wk, 1/2 tab twice daily for 1wk, and then finally 1 full tab twice daily. The chantix is still working the way i imagine it is supposed to. At least I haven't smoked in nearly 2 weeks.
0 Kudos
tiffy

Adam you are a blessing...That is exactly the news I was wanting to hear. I tried calling my Dr this morning and he is out of the office until tomorrow morning. I couldn't really see why halfing the 1mg would make a difference, but just wanted reassurance.
0 Kudos
adam14

It's always good to check those things out though since there are medications that are designed to be time release and breaking in half or crushing them would result in getting a single, possibly lethal, concentrated dose instead of the time-release effect it is supposed to have.
0 Kudos
tiffy

Well I talked to my Dr today and he said it would be fine for me to split the 1mg in half. I am thrilled to death. I have been on a roller coaster ride from HELL!!! I know that in the end quitting is great...feel better...no more coughing...breath better...yada yada yada. But getting to that point is crazy. My husband tries to help but he has never smoked and when he says "I know honey"....I just want to rip him a new one! He sees it in my eyes too. We finally end up laughing about it, but in the back of his mind he is probably wondering if I killed him I could plead temporary insanity and get away with it. Just kidding...I would never kill him because then I wouldn't have anyone to listen to me bitch and moan. All joking aside he keeps me sane with his love and encouragement. I told my kids the other day that I will try and work on my patience (seems like I have none since trying to quit). Last night I was helping my 7 year old son with his homework...he looked up at me and asked if I was still working on my patience. I gave him a huge hug and kiss and told him I would try harder. If that won't put you in check what will!!!
0 Kudos