cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tony3

Help! This one isn't huge, but it sucks anyway.

I smoke at my computer... chain smoke at my computer actually. I am also a writer and write for online publications, so I need to be at my computer for a good 4-8 hours a day.
My quit date is October 16th, and have tried moving my ashtray away from the computer which seems to work a little bit, but it also frustrates me when I have a deadline to meet and I have to leave my desk every time I want to light up. I'm worried that the frustration might derail me, considering both my partner and my room mate smoke (my room mate smokes the same brand as me) so I have pretty easy access to cigs when I'm at home alone.
I've quit before, but I was working a brick and mortar job at the time, and it was easy to just not go into the smokers lounge on my breaks and that eliminated 8 hours of almost every day. This time is going to be difficult.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
John48

This is going to be tough so be prepared to do it. I used to chain smoke at my computer as well and spent all day on it. I am unemployed and spent the day editing cover letters or my resume. Other times I was on here looking at my motorcycle forum threads. I completely connected smoking (out back on my patio- no smoking in the house) with being on my computer. At the time I couldn't imagine thinking clearly, typing/drafting/editing on the computer without smoking. It is possible though but prepare yourself for the difficulty.

Is there any way to put your work on the computer on hold for a few days to a week until you can get over the initial hump of quitting?

Can you take your work to the public library inside or maybe a smoke-free cafe on your laptop and work there? (Don't bring cigs with you)

Your computer is a trigger to smoke so switch up the associations with your computer. Bring it where you can't smoke. What I did was I stuck with being on my computer, left the job hunting and concentration activities go for about 5 days, and distracted myself with the computer on other sites inside my house where I wouldn't smoke. I took it second by second, minute by minute, hour by hour until now I"m at the day by day stage. I'm smoke-free for 19 days today after a 25 year habit that started when I was 11.

Get your partner/roommate the buyin on your quit and get their support to stay the f' away from you while you quit. Threaten to rip their head off if they leave their cigs anywhere accessible or they offer or cave it to your requests for a cig. My fiance has been smoking this whole time (we live together too) while I quit and I laid down the rules with her from day 1 - no evidence of cigs anywhere including lighters, ashtrays, empty packs, etc. No smoking near me. No giving me a smoke when I ask or beg. Etc. You need their support. Take it minute by minute and I guarantee you can do it.

Let me know if I can help you more since I have been where you are.
0 Kudos
webslave

I have the same problem! I smoke at the computer...literally chain smoke. From the time I get up,,,drinking my coffee, the computer is ON. Up and down...trying to break the cycle.
A very tough one ! If I move the ashtray...I'm up n down having a smoke. So, whether I'm sitting at the computer smoking..when I move the ashtray...its not much of a deterrent.
I still have some time till my quit date, so I'm doing various things to lessen the number of cigs.
ws
0 Kudos
diane-w

Tony ~ my quit date is Friday (Jan 9th) and I SO understand the computer trigger ~ how are things going for you?
0 Kudos
gail3

It's the mental sharpness you're looking for. I just went through a full semester of college - at an old age - and thought i'd freak out about the studying without cigarettes, or the late nights. But i did much better than expected with my gummy bears and chocolates. I can't do chocolates much because they lead to smoking as much as coffee does. But the tangy gummy bears were good for the little zing the brain needs to keep the focus and try to be sharp. But the MAIN THING is that you'd be surprised how really brilliant you are without the da**ed smokes. The cigarettes aren't doing your writing - YOU are. Keep your butts and your friends away from your computer - it's better for your computer, too. And now that my fiancee is quitting, i can finally clean the computer room out of any residual smell and ashiness. Hey, i got B's in Anatomy and Physiology. Who knew? If you can work 8 hours without, you can write without also. Good luck 2 you.
0 Kudos