cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rainbow1-2

Quit day

Just wanted to know how some of you prepared for your quit day,I'm thinking about moving mine up.Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
debbiex3

For me it was preparing mentally more than anything.  I am only on day 2 and I want to smoke all the time.  I just tell myself no and keep it moving.  I have been playing alot of candy crush lol

0 Kudos
louise-irene

My process is very slow.  I still need another 75 days to complete my preparation for "total" quit day.  At the advice of my home health nurse and doctor, I counted exactly how many sticks I was consuming.  Then, I cut down by one every 5 days or until I do it successfully. I started with 20 (one pack) and am down to a managaeable 15 now.  At this program, my quit date will be around August 1, 2014, but I will be well ready for it.  Not saying its the best way, but due to my chronic heart problems, I was told to take it very slowly so as not to cause any serious side effects. Let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
stmand92

HI, I started mentally preparing about a month in advance. I decided I want to quit before May 1st. I started some doing research and found this site. I knew I had many habits to break; I smoked mostly at specific times (first thing in the am, directily after work, dinner and before bed. The week before my quit I started prolonging my habitual times to smoke (like waiting 30 minutes before going out in the am). I ended up cutting back to 4 or 5 a day. The weekend was the hardest though cause i had all day to smoke. The day before I quit I smoked a little too many and then right before bed I broke the rest of them up and threw them away. 

I had attempted to quit 3 times before this one and would start back up a couple months later so I know where I went wrong. The other times I wouldn't quit until I finished the pack, this was the first time I had ever broken them and thrown them away. I knew to break them because that way they would be no use to me. I am on week number 3 and it has been a roller coaster but I am handling it. 

Good luck! 

0 Kudos
louise-irene

Just an update here to  my earlier comment.  My 15 sticks has turned into 9 a day now.  The program I am on has its problems -- I am getting bored and losing motivation -- but it has worked so far.  A few slip ups, but then back on schedule the next day. Next week I am cutting another stick down to 8 a day, and it is all forward from there.  Five days and cut one more, in 40 days Ill be at 0.  Can't wait!

0 Kudos