cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snarlymae

What activities or exercise plans are you currently using (or plan on using) to help you quit?

Are you hitting the gym, bench pressing 280 and winking at your massive guns in your poly-mesh neon muscle tee? Or are you making more of an effort to walk and take the stairs without feeling winded? (And yearing for a cigarette break...)

With the New Year, and subsequent health conscious resolutions freshly made, what are you doing or thinking about doing this year?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
firstlight

Deer season's over, so me and my horse can head into the woods again without getting shot at! 🙂  I'm going to do lots more horseback riding, because my goal is to hunter pace this spring and my horse and I need to get in shape for a ten-mile-or-so ride.  Maybe we'll be taking some small jumps by then, too!

I'm also going back to walking thirty minutes a day during the week at lunch time (there's a riverfront park near my office with great trails), and I do Pilates for twenty minutes five mornings a week.

0 Kudos
snarlymae

That's amazing First light!! I've always wanted to ride horses. I hope that it goes well. It must be really exhilerating to gallop through the woods on such a magnificent animal!

Having an activity you love is definitely a huge motivation toward staying fit and healthy. I miss surfing so much. I was surfing daily when I was living in Hawaii, but since I moved back to Boston (in the dead of winter too!) I haven't been able to make it out as much. I don't have qualms about swimming in the cold water (I've surfed New Hampshire), however it is way more of an ordeal, akin to making a trip to go snowboarding. For me, getting out involves finding waves (it's fairly inconsistant on the east coast), driving over an hour to the coast, renting a wet suit, etc... Undeniably a different experience. Previously, I literally just walked 10 mins to the beach and jumped into the bath tub temp ocean in a bikini...

You're luck you have those trails! Getting outdoors is a great mood booster! I've been meaning to try out Pilates.. How long have you been practicing?

As for me, I'm planning on starting a new gym and lifting routine. Probably 30-40 mins of cardio on an eliptical and then upper and lower training. I'm also looking into getting a pool membership so I can swim daily too.

🙂 Getting to the gym is easier said than done. I'm going to have to keep myself accountable.

Best of luck to you First Light!!! Hope that everything is going well!!!

0 Kudos
firstlight

I can imagine surfing in NH is quite a bit different from Hawaii.  I always hated renting wet suits.  How thick are surfing wet suits?  I had a 1/4 inch wetsuit for cold water diving, like in the mountain lakes here or the ocean in the winter time.  But I'm in South Carolina so the coldest our ocean gets is about 48F.

I've been doing Pilates for a couple of years - it's great for developing balance and core strength, which is why a lot of horseback riders do it.  I bet it'd be useful for surfing as well.  I just got the book Pilates for Dummies and taught myself - but if you're going to a gym I bet there are Pilates classes there.

Day 11 today!

0 Kudos
aztec

walking, swimming, yoga, crunches, push ups weight bar. as many as I can do in a day but no less than one, hopefully at least two

0 Kudos
aztec

Walked a half mile, did 20 minutes of yoga and 50 crunches, feeling pretty good about that, I would like to add meditation too, I did use my light and sound machine yesterday for an hour too and had a tangerine essential oil bath, I do lost of thing for healing. ......

talk to you later

0 Kudos
ayaa

Morning half hour jog...early afternoon swim and late evening steam! my first week of quitting!!!1

0 Kudos