cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

BobbiBillard

Question: When is it ok to quit the Chantix?

I started taking Chantix a little over a month and a half ago. What I would like to know is how soon can you quit taking the Chantix? I have been smoke free for a little over a month and I quit taking the pills completely. I'm not having any cravings for cigarettes. Am I in the clear now?
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
SaraSmile

I don't think I will ever be in the clear. My guard is up to stay!
My pharmacist reccomended that I stay on Chantix 12 weeks.
Prosper in peace
0 Kudos
BobbiBillard

So 3 months then? I wonder if I should start taking it again...
0 Kudos
barbara42

i took it for one month and got off, i figured that it did what it was supposed to do and the rest was up to me, so far i have 58 days of non-smoking. you do what you think is best PEACE! YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO KEEP YOUR GUARD UP
donna22

Bobbi, what did your Dr. say...did he give you a 3 month prescription? I don't think I'll ever be in the clear either....my Dr. said some people take it up to 6 months....I believe 3 months is the norm but I've seen people here take it 1 or less and then stop it.....I don't know if you should start taking it again...why would you if you aren't having any cravings....now I would say it's up to you to keep yourself from smoking....
0 Kudos
BobbiBillard

I think she gave me 2 or 3 months. I'm not sure if I have a refill on it or not and I don't remember discussing how long I should be taking it for with the doctor. That's why I asked here instead of having to go back to the doctor just to ask.
0 Kudos
donna22

I've actually been taking it 3 months but I quit taking the one in the evening after the 1st month so just the one a day...what I was wondering and you can tell me is, did you just stop taking it or did you taper off, any problems when you first stopped? I hope it's crazy, but I just keep thinking that when I stop the Chantix I'm going to get hit with huge cravings or whatever....thanks for any info...
0 Kudos
BobbiBillard

I just stopped taking it abruptly. I didn't taper off and I didn't notice any cravings either.
0 Kudos
BobbiBillard

Ok thanks for the feedback. I will definitely keep my guard up. I don't ever want to smoke again. 🙂
0 Kudos
miriam3

My suggestion is that you complete the treatment. The treatment is 12 weeks on chantix. You dont "quit"; you just complete the treatment as prescribed by your doctor.
0 Kudos