cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lizn2angels

Harder at Home

Does anybody else feel like it is harder to fight the cravings at home than it is at work?

I thought for sure, work would be worse because a cigarette is so readily available.  Plenty of friends from smoke breaks, a little coffee shop right in the middle of our building that sells cigarettes.  But it was actually harder for me at home.  Between the constant messes, and the kids fighting, and if that phone rings one more time with a bill collector on the other end I'm gonna rip it out of the wall!!! 

Anybody else feel like that sometimes?  If not, thanks for letting me vent.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
bikergirl1031

Hello! I just found this site today & joined this group. This is my 8th time quitting, I have been smoking for over 33 years but I will do my best to give some tips here.

Personally I find that work is actually easier than home because we can keep ourselves busy at work & we are limited to our breaks.

At home it is tough because there are a LOT of triggers there. Especially since you have kids but you can do this!!!!! Keep your hands busy. I am looking into making flavored toothpicks so I can still get the hand to mouth action when I am on the phone. That is something I ALWAYS miss when I quit, the hand to mouth & the drag, so I hear that toothpicks will really help keep me on the right track. Stress, anxiety & frustration are triggers of mine too so I am going to make EVERY effort to stay smoke free or as I am calling it today, I want to "breathe free".  My goals are to exercise, that ALWAYS helps when I am stressed or frustrated. I can take it out in a healthy way. Breathing deep also does help when you are in a stressful situation.

I hope some of tyhis helps. We can do this!!!! Don't give in!!!!!! If you do don't beat yourself up just dust yourself off & get back on the horse so to speak! Good luck!

0 Kudos
joiful1

I agree that it is harder for me at home- likely because i'm like the Lone Ranger when it came to smoking. Only when alone- I suppose there were a few isolated occassions when i would in public, but NEVER at work. OMG. I'd be mortified if anyone at my office knew! It's hard for me because I live alone. I don't have the distraction of kids or other adults. Its just me and my conscious. And now, the Nicodemon...I appreciate that you opened this discussion. There are LOTS of things i can do aside from s.m.o.k.e. I have a gazillion things to read.. i could sew.. i could sleep- i could cook.. of course.. i could EAT..!!lol.. But its hard..because I'm home.. and if i can't do whatever i WANT to do at home.. well what the heck! 🙂  anyway- my strategy right now is to not buy any. That is the best way to ensure i won't be tempted to have "just one". And I know me: i would not bum one.. I just couldn't bring myself to do that.. anyway i don't know anyone near me that has any.. And i'm not about to go looking.. OH.. I also have some yoga videos!! maybe i'll try that!!! (glad you reminded me!!) 🙂 Maybe you should go to Marshalls or TJ Maxx- they usually have those videos for like 5 or 9 bucks. you cannot smoke while you're doing yoga!!  Also, about the phone: i dont have a land line- but i understand why people do: i would recommend you schedule a time to turn the ringer off for the night. The bill collectors are not allowed to call after 9pm or before 8am. If they do, YOU should threaten THEM. so maybe turn the ringer off from 7 til 9. you NEED that time to unwind or whatever.. Just a suggestion. As for me, my philosophy is: just because the phone rings does not mean i am required to answer it. (BADA BING!) LOL..  hope that helps!!! ciao

0 Kudos
Brenda-T.

I think it is harder at home.  There are so many triggers.  I have done real good by eleminating all the places that I use to smoke.  It has been one month know and it does get easier.  My worst cravings are when I set in my chair and watch tv.  I am alone most of the time.  My husband works 13 hours a day and sat.  My kids are grown and I just started driving again about a year ago.  I am a house wife so some times I just have to get in my truck and drive to get away from the cravings.  Most of it is just habbit. You have alot of good points that I am going to take advantage of.  Thanks.  Brenda

0 Kudos