cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

rosa

Write a goodbye letter to your cigarettes

Here's something that helped me the day before my quit date that I got from another website:

We've all had friends who are in lousy relationships. They're always complaining but keep going back for more. It's crazy, maddening ... probably like your relationship with cigarettes.

You know they're bad for you. You know they cost a fortune. You know that people hate when you smoke ... but you had to have them.

Well, that's going to be in the past. The time has come to end it for good. The time has come to say good-bye to some of the biggest jerks in your life. Your cigarettes.

When you write your letter, here are some things to think about:

Your fond memories of smoking
What smoking has cost you — in money, other relationships and your health
Your personal reasons for quitting

Before you sharpen your pencil, would an example help? For a sample letter, go to the form that reads, "Write your good-bye letter to cigarettes".

I hope this helps someone like it helped me. I've attached the sample form. It is a pdf document that you can download using Adobe.

Day 48 smoke-free Good luck to all!!!!
Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
cowgirlnc

Hey Rosa,
I did that also; I wrote a letter to my ex-bestfriend and I read it everyday. It keeps me motivated to continue to beat this addiction completely. I think it is a part of the Chantix website where I found the info on what to say in the letter. Congratulations on your success with 48 days..........I will be there soon!!!!
0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

rosa‌ Found your post and hope you might still receive this notification and check-in. I found many goodbye letters here on EX and see you mentioned that you used a template but it's not attached 12 years later. Thanks providing those key questions though.

I'm wondering what other templates people have used to compose their Goodbye Letters. Please share templates you used to compose your goodbye letter or share what other things inspired your composition of the letter.

Mark
EX Community  Manager

EX Community Admin Team