cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rosa

My Inspirations for Staying Quit...

Hi fellow March non-smokers, here's a list of "My Reasons for Quitting" that I made before I quit on March 11th - with some added comments now. How's this for inspiration?

I no longer enjoy smoking.

My doctor told me that smoking is terrible for me to do since I have diabetes now.

My co-workers thought I quit a year ago but I've been supplementing with nicotine gum. - No more gum now!

I'm spending too much money on cigarettes and nicotine gum - I calculate that as of today, I've saved $165

I can't catch my breath and I feel like I'm out of shape. I may have more energy to pursue physical activities I enjoy when I quit - I just did a Denise Austin 1/2 hour Lite & Fit episode this morning, this is great!

I'm tired of being controlled by cigarettes - no need to run out to the store at 2:00 in the morning any more!

I'll have better smelling clothes, hair, breath, and home.

I may have fewer wrinkles - I've got one wrinkle that started and the rest of them can just wait!

I may be free of the morning cough - Don't have it anymore! It's gone!

I'll treat myself to new clothes, books or music with the money I save from not buying cigarettes - Bought a new purse last weekend (haven't done that in 3 years!

What are some of your inspirations?

Rosa
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
elizabeth17

Good idea Rosa! I've been smoke free for 12 days and my inspirations are:
* I can smell things!
* My kids are proud of me!
* I'm getting my sleeve tattooed with all the money I will be saving!
* I think that not smoking makes me (and everyone else) more attractive!
* I knew I could do it!
* All of you doing it too and giving me so much support, whether you know it or not -
I really wouldn't have lasted this long with out everyone on this site! XO
0 Kudos
kimberly23

Hi, Rosa. I am proud of you for your commitment to not smoking; thank you for sharing your thoughts. It's helpful to me. So far, I have been quit for 2 Weeks, 2 Days, 22 hours, 9 minutes and 54 seconds (16 days). I have saved $118.45 by not smoking 338 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 4 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 3/26/2008 8:00 PM

Some of my list is similar to yours:

- The feel of a nice deep breath without wheezing or coughing (especially first thing in the morning)
- More physical energy
- Not feeling out of breath crossing the parking lot
- Free time to do other productive things
- Smoking was awful for me since I have a childhood history of asthma.
- My mother passed away December 30, 2007 from lung cancer, and I was by her side and watched the disease take her.
- My daughter has been begging me to quit, and keeps telling me that she is proud of me for quitting.
- Smoking is really not attractive or cool anymore, I feel more confident of myself.

I am going to put your quit date of March 11th in my Quitkeeper, so that I can use you for inspiration!
0 Kudos
rosa

Thanks for putting my quit date in your Quitkeeper. Thanks for all the support. I'm making lasagna today! I'm going to try not to eat too much. Where's that salad? He he he.
0 Kudos

I've been smoke free for 17 days and Im loving it. Here are some reasons why:
~Save the money
~Im no longer paying someone to slowly kill me with tar and amonia
~My teeth and nails wont be yellow when im old
~Im still young so I wont be influencing the kids i have one day
~My dad, aunt, and grandmother all quit long ago and its my turn to do it for them
~I can smell again and breath easy
~I don't smell or taste like cigarettes
~I took back the power from cigarettes
~Ive influenced others to stop smoking!
0 Kudos
tere

CONGRATULATIONS ROSA - 5 weeks tomorrow. I know this because my 1st smoke free day is March 11th as well. Finding you on the site will help to inspire me to keep going. Post again at 3 months, I'd love to track your progress. We'll have the same Quit Birthday to celebrate! KEEP UP THE AWESOME WORK!
0 Kudos
gera

My quit date was 3/23/08 so it's been 29 days for me since i last put a cigarette in my mouth.
I wanted pretty much the same things others have listed here:
better health, better smelling clothes, hair, breath.
The cost of smoking was increasing not just from increasing prices but I was smoking more and more .

However One of the major reasons I wanted to quit is - in November of 06 I promised a friend who never smoked... yet died of cancer I would quit and I tried twice but failed.
I figured my promise was way overdue.
0 Kudos