cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jenn11

New to Ex! Here's my story~

I just joined Ex tonight! I wish I would have found it about a month ago, so I could have had a plan to follow!

I am a 36 year old mother of one beautiful 10 year old son! He is an amazing child, and has wanted me to quit smoking since he could speak! I also have a wonderful fiance' who is a non-smoker... but I am very lucky to have their love and support through this! But with them never having an "addiction" they are only understanding to a certain extent.....so I am really glad that I found this group for the extra support~

I just got over being sick, and got up Aug 30 2008 and decided that I was not going to smoke another cigarette. I never thought about using any type of medication or gum to assist me (that would have made too much sense) well, I was doing good, I would have a craving here or there, and talk myself through it and seem to be ok.... but for the last two days I have had some MAJOR anxiety attacks, today I was hyper-ventilating during an anxiety attack, I have been crying, and mood swings like crazy. I just cannot deal with it! Then I tell myself, well if I have a cigarette.... I will feel better physically, but emotionally it would kill me... because I want this so bad! So obviously I need some type of assistant, pills, gum, whatever... any comments, suggestions, advice anyone could give is GREATLY appreciated! As of right now I have not had a cigarette for 8 days, but have ripped everyone's head off today 😞

Thanks for listening~
I look forward to meeting you!
Jenn~
Tags (2)
5 Replies
selina

Jenn-
You can do this. I am a single mother of 2. I had been smoking for 25 years. I finally was diagnosed with asthma. I had a vision of me walking around with an oxygen tank. I didn't like that vision. I too have had anxiety attacks, and get jittery. I am only 6 days out from smoking so I am right there with you. My kids think I am mean, my coworkers look at me funny, but they all know that I am quitting. The more support you can get the better, and I am here to support you in anyway I can,

Selina
0 Kudos
rachel17

I used the nicoteen gum the first time I guit smoking. I had quit for six years. It worked well that time. This time I don't want to use anything. I am trying to do it on my own. I also don't wish to put more chemicals in my body to stop another.
KEEP THE QUIT!!!
0 Kudos
selina

i have used everything to quit, Nicorette, Nicoderm, the inhalers, you name it. I am using chantix this time. I know I can this
0 Kudos
leah9

Yes, anxiety is a big part of quitting I think, but it gets better. Just think about this, if you give in to the urge to smoke, where does that put you? Right back at the start where you have to deal with all those feelings and anxiety again. Keep your head up and your will strong, it gets easier. I take the pills and a patch because it takes the edge off for me. I have tried every way and this works best for me, but I still get the anxiety. The best way for me to cope is catching the anxiety before it gets out of control, when I feel it first coming on. Here are some ideas that have worked for calming me down. Try going for a walk with your son when you feel anxiety coming on or go alone if he is adding to your anxiety. Ask for a massage or offer to give one. Play a little game on the computer that will challenge your thought process so you can be distracted. Or watch something funny. Maybe call a friend you haven't spoken to in a long time. Cook something even if you aren't hungry, then put it away for later. Clean something. Take a bath. Do someting different, change things up, that's the key. Whatever I do, I make sure it is healthy and it always makes me feel better afterwards even if it's hard for me to make myself do it at the time. Stay strong.
0 Kudos
Ida

Hi

I also have tried quitting without any medication and I always fall back to smoking I have gone months with out it, So this time I went and purchased patch it does help makes things a little easier to deal with. You may want to give it a try.

Good luck

Ida
0 Kudos