cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gramX2

Dreams

I'm a terrible sleeper, have been for years but I have noticed I have been having weird dreams since my quit. The one that keeps coming back is climbing stairs but than I drop something and have to climb again-now I know that this is a metaphor for the climb in becoming smoke free and dropping something is for the those times I have slipped or are thinking of having a cigarette. Do I ever get to the top or is it just a forever climb?

Tags (1)
8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I know it feels like a forever climb so early in your quit, but you WILL get there in real life (can't promise what will happen in your dreams!).  You smoked for a long time, and this quit thing IS a journey - but I promise there will come a day, maybe after a few months, when you look back and realize you didn't think about smoking at all that morning.  It is a gradual process and gets easier and easier.  After awhile, you will notice you went a whole DAY without thinking about it.  I don't remember when it finally happened for me, but eventually I didn't EVER think about smoking, except maybe in those rare instances where an association I hadn't relearned came up (like raking leaves) and I would think, "gee, a cigarette would be nice right now."  By that point it's only a memory, and easy to dismiss with a shake of the head and "nah!"

Hang in there!  Celebrate each day!  Notice what physical (and mental) improvements you see.

Nancy

anaussiemom

Sometimes dreams are just kinda jumbled up feelings.  Sometimes weird dreams are  from medications.   Your ok! You got this!! 

Keep taking one step at a time.  Smoking is an addiction, as I am sure you know.  A moment at a time...

51786701_2196001550653814_7216790541961265152_n.png

Hugs

Barbara145

Good morning.  I know what you mean.  I smoked for 52 years.  I did not know what was going to happen in my quit but I KNEW what was going to happen if I didn't.  I wanted more life not less.  I hung in there and one day things started getting better (it took a while.)    You are doing this and one day you will experience the fruits of your labors.  It is such a different better life.  You will see.

AnnetteMM

I love this dream! You have fortitude and perseverance!

which-step-have-you-reached-today-i-wont-do-it-i-cant-do-it-i-want-to-do-it-how-do-i-do-it-ill-try-to-do-it-i-can-do-it-i-will-d.jpg

gramX2

Love this- I am going to print it off and put on my fridge! Thank you!

elvan

I, too, think it's a GREAT dream...if you keep going, you will, at the very least, get to a landing so you can stop and catch your breath. This journey goes on for as long as we do but it DOES get much easier.

Ellen

maryfreecig

Sometimes I like to belt fear in the stomach by saying things something like this...if, I must climb like this forever, that's ok, I't not too hard and I am willing. If I don't resize my worry, it grows and grows and grows.  No doubt if you keep building your smobriety--the dream will fade into the mist...ur...away.

sweetplt

I don't read too much into dreams gramX2...but I can say, like you, been having some weird ones too...it must be a forever climb, because we have to work on the Quit forever...being vigilant and always growing...~ Be well...and hoping no more dreams...Happy Saturday ~ Colleen