cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

gramX2

Hungry!

Good Morning, I am on day 25 ( should have been close to 4 months but I had a couple of slips) and I am hungry all the time. I used to start my day with coffee and a smoke, maybe some breakfast a little later, if I was home, no lunch, just a smoke. I would have some lunch at work but than had a smoke.  So of course I have gained 10lbs and am currently on a low carb, high protein diet to get it off but for those of us over 60 know how hard that is. I do a least 17 to 20 flights of stairs a day and about 6,000 steps, hard to get that 10,000 when I sit at a desk all day. I do realize that the extra 10lbs is a small trade off for the health of my body, I just don't want to put on anymore as diabetes runs in my family and I already have an extra 20 lbs. on me. Anyone else struggle with the weight gain after quitting?

18 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Most everyone gains weight when they quit.  I have read that we have to eat 200 LESS calories a day when we quit to maintain our weight.  Smoking DOES decrease appetite and increase metabolism, and the munchies are part of the quit process - a double whammy!   Try to substitute things like carrot sticks and frozen grapes in between the less healthy stuff, and reduce the size of your meals.  Eat smaller meals more often throughout the day.  Try to get those 10,000 steps in - even marching in place counts (I used to do that when I washed my face and brushed my teeth, and while doing the dishes or on the phone).    Take a walk at work at break time, maybe use the stairs all the time instead of the elevator.  Exercising will have the added bonus of increasing levels of dopamine - what you are missing from smoking.

A few extra pounds won't kill you; smoking WILL!  And - you will have extra money to join a gym and time and energy to exercise more when you are further along in your quit. 

Nancy

gramX2

Those are all the things I am currently doing so I am hoping that slowly it will come off, unfortunately I had lung surgery right after I quit which put a kibosh on exercise for a bit but I am doing better now and am doing at least 17 flights of stairs a day, hopefully the weather here will improve and I can start walking on my lunch break and when I get home. I bought a stability ball and I use that while I watch tv. Its just another step in the journey to get healthy and even though its not always easy and there are days that are frustrating, I am enjoying the feeling of freedom.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Congrats on  25 days.  You are doing this.  My doctor told me if weight was not a problem before your quit it won't be after.  I gained about 10 lbs early in my quit.  I am always mindful of what I am eating.  It came off at some point.  You are doing this.  Carry on.

Barbscloud

Well, weight has been a problem my whole life before I quit, so it is a major problem for me after.

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

I found that I really needed a little sugar a few times a day in the first months. A Twizzler or Tootsie Pop or Lifesaver would do it.

anaussiemom

gramX2your doing Fabulous!!  I try to eat foods that may have some bulk fiber.   I also love carbs  
I eat frozen blueberries, and sunflower shelled seeds in yogurt.  Have the need, to have crunchy stuff. 

20 some DOF  

YOU are doing the quit !!  Yeah!!

millon03

I am with  you, I am hungry all the time.  I wish it would warm up and it was Daylight Savings Time, then I could start walking after work. But I swim 4X a week, I try to get up and walk once an hour at work and I pack a salad for lunch. But then someone brings in sweet rolls and BAMM! it's all I can think about! But, I haven't smoked in 16 days and I am so proud of myself. Everything will eventually balance out. This is the most important thing I have ever done so it makes since that something, like eating, is going to be whacked out for a while. Congrats on 25, that is so awesome!!!

Peace!

M.