cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Hiker

Wash your clothes

So my quit date was Feb 1st and it was suggested somewhere to wash the clothes you smoke in. I knew there were some right off the bat ( my cordory coat and robe.) and other clothes I sniffed at to decide. 3 days later I put on a vest to hiking and while driving to the trailhead all I could smell was old tobacco. On one hand it stunk and was disgusting. On the other hand it reminded me of what  I used to do after hiking so it was a surprise trigger.  As soon as I got home I sniffed a few more clothing items that I overlooked because as a smoker they didn't smell but as a non smoker they did. So lesson learned.....wash ALL the clothes.

Tags (1)
16 Replies
sweetplt

Hiker Good job on the wash.  Welcome to Day 4 of your Quit.  Colleen aka sweep 

YoungAtHeart

Yep - we really DID stink, didn't we?  I laugh to myself when folks arrive on the site to announce they have no support because they were "closet smokers"  and thus couldn't share with anyone that they had quit.  The only person they were fooling was themselves!  They usually are chagrined to learn that fact.

Congrats on Day FOUR!

Nancy

maryfreecig

Keep the realizations coming!!! Happy day 4.

Jennifer-Quit

Good advise - I quit on May 1 and the first time that I opened my coat closet after that, I almost fell over backwards - lol!  Good job on your  4th day - and best wishes to you!

YoungAtHeart

Remember when you used to be able to smoke in restaurants and bars?  I still smoked - and couldn't STAND my clothes when I got home.  Always left my coat in the car, wore washable fabrics, and threw them in the washer immediately when I got home.

PU!

Jennifer-Quit

I remember when you could smoke every where!  I really want to apologize to every one that I offended...

YoungAtHeart

I actually DID apologize to my physician, my PT and my dentist!  Blech!

Wish I could have apologized to EVERYONE I subjected to that disgusting smell on me!

Strudel

Good thinking on the clothes - and CONGRATS on your quit!  

elvan

It smells SO BAD...when I used to travel with my husband to do antique shows, I refused to stay in smoking rooms in hotels and all of the smokers laughed at me.  I said I could not STAND the smell...even when I was smoking.  I did not smoke inside and I hated that confined smell...although, years ago, I certainly smoked in bars and restaurants, how incredibly RUDE!

I am sorry everyone.

Ellen

0 Kudos