cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

minihorses

Solution for X?

OK I have been trying to solve a question/problem but couldn't figure the best way to go about it.  I won't go into the specifics of what I'm trying to figure out nor why I am blogging it here other than to say Ex-ers are a great sounding board for more than just stopping smoking!! Yesterday while taking a shower (my best thinking spot) and I decided to try an analogy.  Being from a computer programmer/database designer and administrator for a DoD contractor background I finally pulled out the old flowchart type thinking.  Maybe you can help me find solutions for X.

X is any object you'd like to picture. Animated or inanimate doesn't matter.

X was created for a reason, a real purpose.

X was molded, tested, redesigned and rebuilt until it was deemed useful.

X was being used daily and it was very important to have X around.  X mattered to many different groups and became readily available to them for use.

X's usefulness was diminished over time as other things could do what X did and more.

X started to be used less and less by almost everyone and was 'put in the closet' as its' purpose and use faded.

X no longer mattered and was abandoned having no reason or purpose anymore.

What do you think should be done with X?  Some possible choices are the usual; put in a closet or stored in the attic for possible use later, it could be put up for recycling, it could be thrown in the trash or maybe there is something else that could happen with X.  I'm curious as to what people come up with!

33 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Figure out if X can serve another purpose?  Can a fabric be cut up and used, with other pieces, to make a quilt, or tied around a pole to create a colorful flag?  Can that old discolored lampshade be re-covered and reused?  Can that chair be donated to be used by Habitat for Humanity?   Could that dress be put over some large, sturdy  sticks to become a scarecrow?  Could that table be used as a shelter under which you could feed the birds?  Could  that pile of sticks be used to create a sheltered winter environment for bunnies or birds?  Could that piece of jewelry be taken apart and combined with other pieces to make a NEW piece? 

(as you can tell, my motto is reuse, reduce and recycle!)

minihorses

I like the way you think! X cannot be cut up or re-covered but some of your other suggestions might, in a way, be applicable.

0 Kudos
virgomama

Repurpose it.  Can it be transformed into some other use? 

minihorses

Believe it or not, that's a hard question to answer.  Maybe, but I think it's worth trying to keep as it was intended.

sweetplt

Totally lost, my brain hurt, so wish I could help!

anaussiemom

TRASH!

Sounds ruttish, stuck, not growing from X.

Seek out new and innovative! 51066720_2075263242563544_8595550175840174080_n.jpg

Lady bug hugs JUJU.

xx

indingrl

X i would love X and keeping moving forward- without X - WE are NOTHING!

elvan

I worked today and I am useless tonight...will try to take another look at this tomorrow.

Hugs,

Ellen

shazzan99

I look back fondly on the old days where I had an old "flip" toaster. Sure it was a hassle to stand over it to flip and remove before burning, having two young children . For Christmas i got a new toaster to make life easier. Today I would love to find an old Flip style. For some reason it tasted so much better, which could have because i made my own bread then too. 

Maybe it is like smoking, we only thought it was better, tasted better, Perhaps we should be just happy to embrace our new technology and benefits, rather than "crave" something we only thought was good. At my age, i would probably burn the house down!