cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ender

Preparation is key

I am relatively new here and wanted to share my story/journey/frustrations/hopes. Sorry if it comes out as stream-of-consciousness rambling.

Two weeks ago I set a quit date for this past Sunday. Things did not go as planned, and I didn't end up having my quit day until yesterday. Unfortunately today I relapsed, but it turned out to be a good thing overall. I dove into some EXTREMELY helpful blog posts here and now realize I was a bit unprepared for the first 72hrs. The main thing I've learned through my journey so far is that acceptance and preparation are key. I really only believed I was 75% addicted when reality and SCIENCE prove otherwise. I also hadn't done enough research on myself and the tools necessary for my personal journey.

The good news is I am still very hopeful despite my failures this week. The chief reason being I have learned a lot and am more prepared now. So thank you to everyone who has shared their struggles, given advice, and supported those who have just begun this journey like myself. I now have far fewer illusions about the path forward but am more encouraged than I've ever been.

8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

So happy to hear you are going about this differently this time!  Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Good for you for realizing this!  It bodes well for your success this time!

Let us know how else we can help!

Nancy

MarilynH

Welcome to the community please read everything you can about quitting smoking and remaining quit because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT it's absolutely Doable and totally worth it stay close because we're all here to help you in any way we can......

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX...may I suggest that you read a blog by JonesCarpeDiem‌  My Welcome To New Members (12+ Years Of Watching)  I think you will find it helpful...I DO think that preparation is important but I think that commitment is vital.  You cannot consider smoking to be an option...once you commit to your quit, make it a real commitment. Do have a plan...My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  DO stay close to the site and know that we all want you to succeed.  Addiction is incredibly strong and deceptive, be ready for it to play tricks on you.

Ellen

Sootie

Glad you enjoyed our writings. Hope you will stick around and become a part of our community as you BECOME AN EX! If you have not already...go to whyquit.com and read the articles there. They are EYE OPENING as far as addiction is concerned.

WELCOME TO EX......we are all here for each other.

sweetplt

Hello and Welcome to Ex’s

I very much agree with you. I believe knowledge and preparation is the key.  Once you make that Quit Date, prepare for that day like no other.  Go through “my quit plan” on the top of the page helps greatly with both knowledge and preparation.  Keep it here too, we help to support each other.  ~ Colleen

0 Kudos
marciem

Let me add my welcome Ender‌!!  Well done on your decision to quit smoking and for sticking to the decision even with a relapse.  Relapse is never a GOOD thing, but you're using it to your best advantage as a learning experience, and that is so very very important.  I'm proud of you for that.

One day at a time, step by step, keep learning and reading and accepting the suck when it happens.

I'm glad you're here, and learning from what you've been reading!! 

Giulia

Love your "ender" name.  I think when we finally get to the "far fewer illusions" part of the psychological addition, we are able to take a giant step forward on the path to freedom.  What are excuses, after all, but illusions.  You'll get there.  Keep using what's between your ears!

AnnetteMM

I was literally just planning to write "LOVE the Ender name" LOL!

0 Kudos