cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

millon03

EXERCISE

OMG, I just thought, I haven't smoke in a week, sure I can knock out 20 laps in the pool. I haven't been in the pool since early Dec. I stopped going because I caught the flu really bad, and then that turned into bronchitis. When I did go before I got sick I coughed so much and was so afraid because I could never catch my breath and doing a free stroke lap was almost impossible. Water aerobics was a little easier, but still I coughed. Today I didn't cough once (victory!!) but my lord, my heart was pounding out of my chest! Being determined, I managed to get 16 laps in. I am sure I will feel it tomorrow. Also did some resistance training and that I am sure to feel as well.  All in all, it felt great and I feel like I accomplished something! I much prefer the solitude of the pool next to the crowded weight / cardio room.

How long did it take some of you, who have gone back to working out, or just walking, to get some sort of decent stamina? Is my heart always going to pound like this? Will this speed up the recovery of my lungs or slow it down? 

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

Tags (1)
9 Replies
Deena-A-Yenni

Woo hoo!!  I am no expert but I am an exercise enthusiast (even tho vastly overweight).  The pounding will curb unless you push more and more.  The exercise will definitely help with the recovery of your lungs immensely.  Perhaps you should speak to a Doctor or expert for details.  Perhaps someone on this site will have the precise answers BUT exercise is key to taking back your health.

You've  just taken this quit and ran with it.  Kudos for you!!

millon03

Thank you mucho! 

anaussiemom

Ways to Fix Your Lungs After Smoking | Livestrong.com 

millon03

So many links on this Mayo blogs and discussions most definitely, can answer so many questions for you

Hugs Kim 

millon03

Thanks Kim!!!

0 Kudos
Jennifer-Quit

We do not know about your medical history - so my advise would be to consult your doctor..Best wishes and congrats on making the decision to quit!

YoungAtHeart

Have you ever been taught how to properly breathe when you swim?  There IS a special way to do it - and if you aren't doing it right, it can be very difficult; you might find your heart racing and ending each lap really out of breath.   If you can get a lesson where you swim, that might help. 

If it's been awhile since you did laps, you probably need to work up to 20.  Start with half that, maybe - and increase once a week by 2 or so  That sounds like a lot to start.

Glad you are back at it!  I hope to be released to start back in a month or so...can't WAIT!

Swim on!

(Don't smoke!)

millon03

We don't have a swim instructor at my gym but other locations in the city may have one.  I have watched a lot of YouTube videos giving instruction and they have been helpful, but sometimes by the time I get to the gym I forget half of what was taught! How nice you get to swim soon! I am excited for you! I love swimming, it is my favorite form of exercise!

Peace!

M.

elvan

millon03‌  My shoulders are so damaged that the only way I can swim is using a noodle...BUT it is my absolute favorite way to exercise.  I cannot do it unless it is in an outdoor pool because the chlorine in an indoor pool affects my breathing.  That said, the absolute BEST exercise IS in the water.  Even walking back and forth in a pool, also using water weights for resistance.  Not going to happen for a few months and I DO miss it.  YoungAtHeart‌ is a champion swimmer.

I am confined to using a stationary bike and I have to admit that it is VERY challenging.   The bike is my weapon against the progression of COPD.  I think you are doing really well...I WOULD try to listen to Nancy's advice to work your way up to 20 laps.  Hope you aren't too sore.  Glad your breathing is okay and that you didn't cough!

Ellen

sweetplt

That is wonderful Melissa... no coughing is great.  I am not sure about heart pounding, might want to talk to your Doctor.  Congrats on the Quit, you are doing it!