cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

clacy73

Dry throat

I’m at my 28 days quit. My throat is becoming more and more dry. I have not been coughing or wheezing which I’ve read everywhere that would happen. Any feedback on it? Should I be concerned that I’m not coughing?

10 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I didn't cough - everybody is different.  Wouldn't worry about it. 

Don't know about the dry throat.  Maybe keep a cold bottle of water handy from which to sip?  Maybe others can help and will chime in!

I CAN tell you that none of your ailments are worth smoking over!

clacy73

Oh heck no, not even wanting to smoke. I was just curious.

elvan

My issue is the opposite, I sound like I am underwater all the time from the post nasal drip I have.  I drink a shot of straight lemon juice for that.  YOU might try a teaspoon of honey, preferably locally produced.  Drink lots of water and my son's doctor says that if you have dry lips, you don't put water on them...HE says to take a tablespoon of canola or olive oil and swish it around in your mouth and gargle with it and then spit it out.  It DOES work but it's not very pleasant.  I have done it when my mouth feels dry, my throat rarely feels dry. You are coming up on your first MONTH, CONGRATULATIONS!

I couldn't cough because I was too sick to get enough air in to cough...some people don't have as much to cough up.  I would not worry about it...although if your throat is that dry, maybe you need a humidifier or to stand in the bathroom with the shower running so you are exposed to the steam.  That might help your throat and it might help to loosen anything you have in your lungs. 

Ellen

Giulia

Are you perhaps breathing more through your mouth than your nose?  Try being more conscious of how your breathing and if you ARE breathing more through you mouth, shut it!  lol  I am very much a "mouth breather" and have to

consciously catch myself to stop it.  There are dry mouth sprays, such as Biotene Moisturizing Mouth Spray, and CVS also has a dry mouth spray.  I've used the CVS version and it's... ok.

clacy73

Thanks for the feedback. No I’m not a mouth breather. Just this odd sensation, dry patch in the back of my throat. I’ve done a lot of research and I’ve not found anything about it. Figured this was the best place to ask. Everyone is so great here. 

millon03

Maybe gargling with salt water will help. I do when I have a sore throat. Old remedy...

Peace,

M.

Barbscloud

Congrats on you 28 days.   I didn't cough when I quit.  I found this on one site:

Signs your body is getting better

Cough or sore throat - This usually gets worse before it gets better. It is caused by your body clearing the respiratory tract. Breathe in steam or sip water.

Mouth ulcers and dry mouth - This often happens in the first two weeks after giving up smoking. This is a sign that the blood supply to the lining of your mouth is improving.

Dizziness and headaches - These happen because more oxygen is reaching your brain. 
If you have dizziness and suffer from a heart complaint, talk to your doctor.

Tingling in hands or feet - This is caused by the increased oxygen supply in the blood to the limbs and is a positive sign that your body is recovering.

sweetplt

Everyone is different.  I coughed a lot for two weeks. Barbscloud Gave you some great information.

Congratulations on 28 days Quit. ~ Colleen

Bellegonia

Clacy,

I never had a cough or bronchitis when I smoked and I wondered the same thing as you... days went by and no cough. No hacking up the lungs. What's up with that? I was waiting and frankly hoping so it would be a sign that my lungs were recovering! I'm 4 months quit at that point... then I got a cold after Christmas... and the stuff that came up (sorry for the frank description) was like a mix of play dough and white glue. And thick. So thick that it would take several deep chest attempts to keep it moving up and out. Wow, gross! So I'm happy to say that the stuff I wouldn't have gotten up on a regualr good day did make itself work out of my body. The other thing I was able to grasp was that our bodies are amazing self healing machines. Once my deep lung cells start to die off and regenerate then they will get eaten up by healthier cells. It's called Autophagy. So I'm glad I never ended up with that "cough" that I thought everyone had!

Belle