cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kgrlm15

How long does it take after last cigerette for the worst parts of smoking to disappear ,how long after last cigerette will it start getting easier ?

Need help with how long after last cigerette it will get alittle easier , I suffer anxiety and I really want to quit it seems so hard but its extremely important that i quit in constantly sick with bronchitis and sinus infections.

14 Replies
anaussiemom

Good morning kgrlm15 
welcome-3d-yellow-green-animated.gifI promise it does NOT feel like death, or even labor pains.

It is just an urge.  It does pass.  Breathe...

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

When you do the reading I will recommend, you will come to understand that smoking does not one thing to help with stress or anxiety, other than to calm down that which was created by the last cigarettes you smoked.  All we believed smoking did for us is a lie.  You might talk to your doctor as you plan your quit to see if a medication might ease your way.  The first three days are the most difficult, followed by several weeks of your body getting used to life without the drug, then it's the psychological aspects of the addiction that are the difficult part.  They ease as you relearn your life as an ex-smoker, reduce the number of association triggers, and start to enjoy the benefits of not smoking.  This is a journey, not an event, and your mindset is a powerful tool.  If you think it's going to be awful, it will be  If you think it's doable, it will be.  Arm yourself with information to help get your mind in the right place!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbara145

How long did you smoke?  I believe it is somewhat dependent on that fact.  You can do this.  Most smoker's have a great deal of anxiety, much of it caused by smoking.

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s

I hope your prepared by reading and working on “ My Quit Plan “.  Unfortunately, you will have withdrawal and cravings, so you must prepare ahead of time.  I suffer from anxiety and found smoking made it worse.  People need to work through anxiety through, meditation, medication, therapy, etc., not by smoking.  You can learn new techniques.  

Now work it and make that Quut date. Colleen aka sweetp

Onna

Hello. I'm a newbie myself. I quit cold turkey on 1-16-19. I too have anxiety and was scared to quit.

This is my second true attempt at quitting. I've smoked a pack day  bout 20 years now. I quit for 2 months last time.

For me the worst part started on day 2 and lessened by day 4. It's a mind game for sure.  It helps to keep busy and don't dwell on the cravings. That makes it worse. 

It does get better and easier! I know it does not feel that way now but it will!

I've gone from having panic attacks with cravings all day (day 3 & 4). To no panic attacks and only a few --not so intense cravings. Last couple days I've only had a couple cravings....

Now it's more about habits ( looking for smokes when leaving, feeling a need to go outside after dinner). Little things I chuckle about and say oh.. I don't smoke anymore. 

The first few days are by far the most miserable! Just hang in there !

There is a ton of good information and quit tips on this site. And great people who can help you.

I know it helped me a lot those first few days.

I kept reading the awful things on cigarettes ( like what chemicals they put in them etc) it helped me cause I am a hypochondriac lol. 

Think about what you really want ... Why did you quit in first place . Also you'll be able to breath alot better soon! 

JACKIE1-25-15

Nicotine remains in the body depending upon how, and how much you ingest. For some, it can be up to 3 days+ for the nicotine to be out of your system.  As far as withdrawal systems are dependent also upon the individual. Usually, after 28-30 days, the withdrawal systems decrease.

• Sadness or depressed mood
  • Insomnia or trouble sleeping
  • Irritability, frustration or anger
  • Anxiety
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Restlessness
  • Decreased heart rate
  • Increased appetite or weight gain

That is not to say they completely stop. For me, within 60 days the systems lessen and were further apart.  Within 90 days the withdrawal systems came to a bare minimum which is part of the mental behavioral change that needs to take place after you quit smoking. Every person's experience is different.  What To Expect In The First Four Months 

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Put your energy into coming to terms with the fact that you're quitting. The more you are resolved (made up your mind that this is it), the easier it is to move forward. The more you work on acceptance before and after you quit the better you'll feel. (About your physical health--when that will improve--talk to your doctor--but otherExers may chime in to your post who have had bronchitis)

Quitting is hard for many of us--at first. But that is why it is called an addiction and quitting brings an end to all that--just give it the time needed to see the rewards. Ex is here 365. Loads of helpful people, all lengths of smobriety. Loads of solid information here too.

Yes you can, one day at a time.

Croys123

I quit a couple weeks ago I am doing chantix and the patch  I am doing well I have cravings that I am dealing with but overall it isnt unbearable.  The first week I did the chantix pill and smoked normal but tried to change it up a bit  went out later in the morning ect....  2nd week I quit all day and only had 1 or 2 at night  the next week and this past week none at all !!! Hoping to continue with none at all.  I have a halls cough drop or a mint etc... and deep breathe thru cravings or when stressed. It isnt easy but hopefully with stay smoke free!!! 

JennMilefchik

I am on day 8 of quitting cold turkey. Last night I purchased a bottle of wine and the counter i purchased my last pack of cigarettes. As I scanned the cigarettes I didn’t want them. No willpower and a highly addictive personality I’m still shocked! I had a very changelling day. I feel like I was in a panic attack all day but somehow I made it through. I didn’t have a quit plan just decided it was time. This site helped me a lot. Getting the text messages and emails reminded me of the goal I set. The cravings literally last a few minutes. It’s mind over matter. Hang in there. Don’t give up!