How long does it take going through withdrawals

Looking for support to get through this hurdle after smoking for over 30 years 

8 Replies
anaussiemom

Lisamas  Good morning.  We are all here to support you

Many blessings.  You can do this.

welcome-3d-yellow-green-animated.gifyyjcxkjhyk6nvhoo6ytm.jpg

SimplySheri

Nicotine leaves the body after about 3 days so most withdrawals are psychological.  They last as long as your mind allows them to.  As you change your routine and build new, healthier habits, the need to focus on thoughts of smoking lessens until they are faint memories.  In other words, acknowledge the cravings but don't dwell on them   So very glad you are here!! 

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s, 

We are in this quit journey together.  Go to “my Quit Plan” and read and work through the process to se a quit date.  There you will work on redirecting your withdrawals by doing something else.  You will have withdrawals, but you can get through them one step at a time.  Knowledge is power and Preparation is key.  Get Ready for the ride of your Life.  Colleen aka sweetp

Barbara145

Welcome.  You have come to the right place to quit smoking.  Many people on this site smoked 30+ years.  For me I smoked 52 years and I quit by coming to this site.  You can do this.

JACKIE1-25-15

Nicotine remains in the body depending upon how, and how much you ingest. For some, it can be up to 3 days+ for the nicotine to be out of your system.  As far as withdrawal systems are dependent also upon the individual. Usually, after 28-30 days, the withdrawal systems decrease.

• Sadness or depressed mood
  • Insomnia or trouble sleeping
  • Irritability, frustration or anger
  • Anxiety
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Restlessness
  • Decreased heart rate
  • Increased appetite or weight gain

That is not to say they completely stop. For me, within 60 days the systems lessen and were further apart.  Within 90 days the withdrawal systems came to a bare minimum which is part of the mental behavioral change that needs to take place after you quit smoking. Every person's experience is different.  /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months?sr=search... 

maryfreecig

Ex is here to offer you support for sure! Welcome to the community. Stay invested in your quit by learning more about nicotine addiction and recovery. Blog as you wish--Exers are here to listen.  

I'm stumped (glad others have responded) as to how to respond to your question about how long withdrawal lasts. I quit cold turkey and mostly on my own (don't recommend it) and so I just crashed through each day telling myself that my quit was going down, like it or not. I never saw myself as having withdrawal symptoms--but saw myself as having an entrenched dependency that I was uncertain how to end it.

Gotta say, support has made all the difference--instead of being alone with only my own wits (not necessarily reliable!!!) to count on.

One day at a time, yes you can.

Aew1031

Hi Lisamas , I’m currently having some challenging withdrawal symptoms as I write this.  Redirecting your attention can help, walking, jumping up and down, making and drinking lots of tea, whatever.  But sometimes you need to retreat and just stare in to space until the urge passes.  Each one is different but they are all #terrible.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Deep breathing in and out helps.  Several to choose from 

https://www.google.com/search?q=breathing+exercise 

0 Kudos