cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rgr2018

New Year's Quitter Having Problems

Hi there - My quit date was 1/1/19 and so far I have been smoke free. I take chantix and am using the patch as well as some gum from time to time.  I prepared for this quit (my very first serious attempt) for over a month, reading all the suggested materials from this and other web sites.  I made all my lists about why I wanted to quit and things to do instead of smoke and I have my quit kit well stocked with candies, chewing gum, and snacks.  So you would think I would be in good shape.  But as I reach day 24 I almost feel like I'm entering an early no man's land.  I feel disconnected from everything ...like I'm waiting for something to happen, but it never does.  I have to maintain this quit for lots of reasons and I don't want to feel like it's in jeapordy, but I wanted to check in for some early advice before I find myself trying that bs of thinking I can take one puff and still be ok.  Bottom line, I could really use some feedback on why I'm feeling this way after more than 3 weeks and what I can do to prevent it from ruining my quit.  Thanks in advance.  Best regards, Rosemary

12 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations Rosemary on 24 days of freedom.  Your quit is still young.  Quitting is not easy, it takes a lot of determination not to give up no matter how you feel.  If you are like any of us we smoked more than 30 years plus.  You will not be over it in just 24 days. Have you been getting enough rest and staying hydrated? Know that if you hang tough it gets better. Good job on coming here first when you are having a problem.  The road to freedom is not easy.  If you have committed to NOPE not one puff ever, no matter what you will be fine.  Breathing always helped me in these moments of insecurity along with coming here and getting advice. Self-talk " I don't do that anymore'.  Know that one puff will set you back.  You do not want to start this over.  Believe that you can make it.  Breathe and you will. 

I remember a wise elder telling me that you have to go through the rough times to get to the good and you become stronger each time that you go through the rough times without smoking. That is the truth. Ride it out and see.  Relax and breathe.  You will be glad that you did  Do not give up. Do not give it.  Hang tough  The idea is no matter how bad you are feeling or how agonizing it is you will not smoke.  Bottom line no matter what DON'T SMOKE and you will get better.  This is just a bump in the road that you have to cross over. 

YoungAtHeart

You KNOW you don't want to lose these wonderful 24 days, do you?  And that cigarette you think you want is NOT going to taste anything like you remember, and will cause you to almost hork up a lung. 

Hang in there!  STOP arguing with yourself about this...you already made the decision - now just stick to it!

Get busy!  Go for a walk!  Take a soak in the tub!  Get a crossword puzzle!  Play a computer game!

Just do not smoke!

Nancy

maryfreecig

Quitting is a big deal. Smoking because of the nicotine quickly became an addiction and a dependency. Time away from the dependency will take care of a lot of the dark shadows you are seeing. Perspective, clarity and awareness take shape as you go--and 24 is AWESOME!!!

You might try responding to newcomers (or anyone) on Ex. Read what they have to say and give your insight. You've got some experience quitting and you might just help yourself while helping someone else.

rgr2018

You guys are so wise and have left me with renewed determination.  Right now I feel like a slug...don't have enough energy to do very much.  But I think I have to give myself permission to be lazy if that's what it's going to take to get through this.  In the meantime. I will try to interact with some of the newer quitters. (Never thought I would be saying that). I'm not sure I have a lot to say but I definitely remember those first days and what it took to get through them so maybe that will help someone.  Thanks so much for your input. Regards, Rosemary

maryfreecig

Awesome!

elvan

That is a GREAT idea...interact with others and offer support.  Can you imagine how amazed YOU would have been when you were a new newbie to hear about someone making it to 24 days?  This is a journey and there is nothing you can do to speed it up or shorten it...it's one day, one step at a time.  I LOVE what OldBones-Larry‌ says..."One step, and then another, will get you to where you want to be."  Acknowledge the craves...say what JonesCarpeDiem‌ recommends, "I don't do that any more."  Keep going forward, it is possible that you are entering NML early BUT, it's not like NML is one constant crave.  For me, it was more like a crazy, unexpected crave popped up and I just had to remind myself that I didn't smoke any more.  It wasn't a terrible experience and I was almost afraid to leave NML because I was afraid that some of the support would slide away.  Not a chance...the support will be here as long as there are other EXers here and I hope that's FOREVER!

I agree with YoungAtHeart‌ that you need to stop arguing with yourself about it.  SMOKING IS NOT AN OPTION.

Best,

Ellen

rgr2018

Ellen - Thank you and others again for your sage advice.  Today is 1

whole month for me riding the freedom train (Yah!!!) and I'm really

feeling not too shabby...which is really pretty good.  I've been in

Tuscon for the last week with my daughter...business and pleasure,,,and

since she (and son in law) are quitting with me, we had each other to

take care of.  It went better than I expected and was more than grateful

when flying back that I didn't have to stand out in zero degrees to have

a puff between planes.  I still hope to add something of my experience

to those newbies behind me...just need to get unpacked and re-oriented. 

Best, Rosemary

YoungAtHeart

Lovely news!

0 Kudos
elvan

rgr2018‌ EXCELLENT, so happy for you.  Keep going, just like you are!

Ellen

0 Kudos