cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kkplayhouse

Am cravings!

How do I curb the first thing in the morning am cravings!!!

8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

For first thing in the morning, you should drink your coffee with your OTHER hand, in a place different from where you smoked.  You may need to change to tea for a bit early in your quit. I had a frozen Hershey Kiss with my coffee each morning. Change up your morning routine - try a bit of yoga right out of bed, or come here to the site and read. 

Here is a blog I wrote with links to lots of good reading materials and information to help you be successful:  For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too) 

Please tell us a bit about yourself:  maybe a bit about your smoking history, if you have a quit date in mind, why you want to quit, if you plan to use a quit aid and if so, which one, and anything else you care to share.  It will help us help you.

I'm glad you are here!

Nancy

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s,

Congratulations on your decision to quit.  Craves need to be dealt with by changing your routine.  For example, you crave a smoke with coffee, change your drink, stay in bed longer and watch the news, etc., 

I hope you worked the program “ my quit plan “ on top of page.  It talks a lot about craves and triggers and has you prepare ahead of time.  Did you set a quit date?  You can do this and we are hear to help each other. Colleen aka sweetp

0 Kudos
elvan

Change your routine so that you are not on auto pilot thinking about smoking.  If you usually shower at night, change it to morning or vice versa...change whatever you can and stay close to this site.  Education about nicotine addiction, support from people who have been there, and your own commitment will get you through.  We all want you to succeed.  I said NOPE all the time when I first quit...Not One Puff Ever.  I said it over and over and over again and I came here every morning and every evening.  I would never have more than five years of freedom without this site.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

SimplySheri

Get up later than normal so you don't have time to miss not smoking.  You'll be too busy getting ready for work   You can also do some yoga, think of three things your grateful for, or just sing.  Whatever you feel will help.

Welcome to the neighborhood and I'm so glad you're here

Stick your head in the freezer and count backwards from 20. 

JACKIE1-25-15

Works, I only had to do this one time. 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex!

Accept that the crave will pass--and each crave is faced one morning at a time--they grow weaker fairly quickly. As smokers we felt relief every time we smoked because we got nicotine levels back up. In quitting, we're relearning life one day at a time (no quick fix). But acceptance can dull a lot of pain. Check in with Ex in the morning--it's a way of reconfirming your choice to quit. 

JACKIE1-25-15

I found that changing the morning routine helped the morning cravings. I even started getting up on a different side of the bed.  I created a new routine.  If you normally sleep late start waking up earlier.  If you drink coffee, change the room you drink it in.  Jump start your day with stretches and meditation.  I would come here and read the blogs while drinking my coffee. 

0 Kudos