cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Reshe

Don't try this at home kids....

Can I tell you the idiocy of my thoughts when it comes to  smoking? I thought, "okay, I don't want to smoke cigarettes anymore, so to help myself, I will smoke the little skinny cigars to begin the breaking process..." BIG MISTAKE. Although I smoke 1-2 a day, I'm still smoking. The insanity has to STOP! #iwillquit

6 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Addiction is addiction no matter what the substance or type of smoking apparatus.  Quitting smoking  is doable but it takes work and the willingness to commit to doing whatever is necessary to not take a puff no matter what is happening in your life.  It is willing to go through the withdrawal and not take a puff.  That is why we say NOPE.  I believe that education is the key to a successful quit.  To get started to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  to learn about your triggers and track your cigarettes.  To learn more about how to navigate the site go to https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/community-help .  Read Study Research you will go a very long way on this journey.   For extra study got to www,whyquit.com  and look for Nicotine 101 and My Journey Home to Freedom.  Also, read Allen Carr's Book Easy Way to Quit Smoking can be found on the web in pdf format. 

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex

Smoking is Smoking! You have cut down, now work “ the quit plan “ program and set that quit date.

Join us where Quitting is Winning.  Colleen aka sweetp

0 Kudos
Giulia

Yup.  Been there, done that.  Thought I'd just switch to clove cigarettes.  Then found out the tars in them were even worse than regular cigarettes.  Tried the pipe routine.  And inhaled IT.  And always, always went back to regular cigarettes.  Nicotine is nicotine, hand to mouth is hand to mouth.  You have to break them both to be truly free.  We are all insane when it comes to our addictions.  Fortunately, through education and practice,  we can discover sanity!  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2018/03/01/quitting-is-a-skill-that-can-be-learned?sr=search&searchId=7edd040b-2b...

Persevere!

elvan

Welcome to EX, education about this addiction is so important as is support and your own commitment to quitting.  My daughter switched to cigars years ago when she quit...she ended up losing that quit but the good news is that she quit again and it has been over three years.  Please pay attention to what JACKIE1-25-15‌ and Giulia‌ have advised.  I would also advise staying close to the site and reading a couple of blogs by JonesCarpeDiem‌ that helped me: /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months and 

My Welcome To New Members (10 Years Of Watching)   You CAN do this...at least you don't have to give up TWENTY a day or more.  You're right, you CAN do this.

Well, scratch THAT...read what JonesCarpeDiem‌ wrote about cigars and their nicotine content.  You have to take the same journey as the rest of us but I still say you CAN do this.

Ellen

Every little cigar has the nicotine of an entire pack of cigarettes. Nicotine is absorbed by the lining of your mouth as well as in your lungs. That's why people chew tobacco.

elvan

OMG, I MUST have heard that before but YIKES, that's horrible!  Thanks for passing that along, Dale.

0 Kudos