cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

Rebellious Hiatus

Last week I got sick of the whole eat healthy, wear oxygen, take your meds thing. So I took a couple of "days off." I didn't wear my oxygen or take my meds and ate junk food and watched Netflix all day until I couldn't breathe and coughed all day long. I was trying to feel "normal." Well, this would be my normal if I didn't take care of myself - not exactly what I had in mind! 

So, being my optimistic self, I've taken it as a learning experience. When was the last time I didn't hate my lungs for failing me on a daily basis? Time for a gratitude for what my lungs do for me each and every day even as damaged as they are!

Oh, and while I'm at it I need to remember my diaphragm and bronchial tubes, What an amazing system - the respiratory system! Just like Fedex, every single cell of my body receives it's much needed oxygen and has a built-in garbage man to take the poisonous carbon dioxide out of my Body! So my lungs do double duty - Amazon that cleans up and recycles it's own boxes - you don't even have to place the order! 

I have often written about the incredible gift of Oxygen Therapy and then in a moment of morosity forgot all of it! I know that the meds I take help me live a better lifestyle than I could ever hope for were they not available to me. I know that eating healthy helps my body to maintain and do it's work even better and yes, of course, I know that exercise is not an option for us - it's absolutely indispensable.

Thank You lungs, diaphragm and bronchials for working so hard for me without me even having to ask and even when I forget to be Thankful! The least I can do is eat right and exercise today!

I just needed a wake-up call!

Take my word for it.  Self-Care is definitely the way to go.

LLAP!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
13 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Oh, my, YES!

Seems like I have not been able to exercise in FOREVER, except to go to Physical Therapy - and I find I actually ENJOY that - not for the process itself, but for how much better I feel afterwards, even with an increase in my pain level.  I am working towards my nirvana of being able to swim laps again this summer.  I was limited last summer to only about 15-20 minutes (I usually do about 40-45 minutes)  of scissor kick strokes - and I missed the ones I couldn't do SO much - but it was definitely better than THIS!  I hope to at least be able to water walk later in the spring to try to get my strength back to swimming GO! 

Use it or lose it is VERY true as we age!

Nancy

jconfusion

I have a friend ive been telling to quit for 3 or 4 years and his foot has been in pain and I keep telling her  circulation is bad because she smokes lol but im not going to nag her. lol I told her about this site and all the info on quitting that's in here.. 

anaussiemom

I have no words.   Your a very strong human being.  Wow.  Thank you for all the joy, hope, and awesomeness.  You give and that is worded with resonating, wisdom and faith.

50544974_2049419945172178_2842288508997992448_n.jpg

You already know this*   Blessings to you!!

virgomama

Thanks for the reminder that healthy food and exercise are #1 in good health.

sweetplt

Thomas3.20.2010 

I hate you must go through all of this, but you are a reminder to all of us to thank our lungs after all the harm we imposed on them.  Also, doing healthy things don’t have to be a bad thing, but I do understand the rebellious side (insert wink)...but Thank you for sharing, I am sure you helped many with your post especially me.  Gotcha in my thoughts Colleen 

Strudel

So glad you are back to self care! Take care dear Thomas! 

elvan

You sure helped ME...you helped me to accept oxygen at night, you helped me to ask for the tests I needed...and you helped me to stick with exercise and a good diet, they ARE essential.  My COPD was so severe that my diaphragm was completely flat instead of curved like it is supposed to be.  After they took out the most damaged parts of my lungs...my diaphragm returned to a normal shape and I KNOW this because NOW, I get hiccups and I did not get hiccups for YEARS.  Not that getting hiccups is a great advantage but it does show me that I have regained something.  Staying healthy is work but it is a MUCH better choice than surrendering.  I have to admit that I giggled when I read about your couple of days off.

Hugs,

Ellen

Sootie

Ah well------we live and learn.........

I too vegged with Netflix (West Wing) all weekend long. Take care of yourself my friend.......you have a beautiful grand daughter to live for.

YoungAtHeart

Have you found Granchester on Prime yet?  LOVING it!

0 Kudos