cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Blue_Skies

Advice - Can a temporary fix become permanent?

I feel like I've tried 1000 things to quit, but I keep caving. I'm the type of person that keeps thinking to myself "I'll quit tomorrow" or "I'll just smoke right now and not again." This thought process keeps going on every single day and I'm never able to fully quit. I'll quit briefly, but then I'll cave to the thought that I'll "just smoke this once."

Has anyone had success by trying to do just the opposite? By saying something along the lines of "I just won't smoke for the next 10 minutes" every time you have an urge to smoke, and by starting over with the 10 minutes with every new urge? Is it possible to turn this into a permanent habit and then continue it forever?

I've been telling myself this for the last hour (have needed to do it at least 20 times), but so far it's been a success. Does anyone know if this can turn into a permanent success?

Thank you to those who respond!

12 Replies
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome

I answered in your other post...but I forgot something while you are still smoking go to the Home page and on the top of page go to “Getting started” and work the program here at Ex.  You will make a quit date and yes quitting is uncomfortable, but you can do this, one step at a time. Colleen aka sweetp

"Has anyone had success by trying to do just the opposite? By saying something along the lines of "I just won't smoke for the next 10 minutes" every time you have an urge to smoke, and by starting over with the 10 minutes with every new urge? Is it possible to turn this into a permanent habit and then continue it forever?"

YES!

It's called NOPE, Not One Puff Ever.

We have all done that. Just make it a commitment & stick to it & then no matter what...do what is necessary to keep your quit. We all have the strength to do this. Are you willing to reach way down inside & pull it out?

M n @ Signature 002-5.JPG

DonnaMarie

I agree, 10 minutes at a time, one cigarette at a time, and build on your successes. 

Mandolinrain

IMG_2642.JPG

th.jpeg

images.jpeg

What comes EASY won't last....

What LASTS won't come easy

Barbara145

It sounds like you want to quit.  I had to promise myself that no matter what I wanted, no matter what I was feeling a cigarette would never be the answer.  I honored that promise to myself.  That was over 5 years ago.  I don't think what you are doing will work.  You can do this but you must commit to it.  

Lauralives

Perhaps we all think our inability to quit is so different than others but it isn't.  The addiction whispers lies and we believe them.  Each time we say NOT ONE PUFF EVER to a craving, we become stronger.  We realize that that is the only way to quit.  There will be triggers, excuses, people, our own insane mind and other things that may make us doubt our ability to quit but it is all BS!!  We can do this!!  Look at all the people here who are.  Congrats and move forward!!

Yes! The biggest threat to our quit is between our ears.

M n @ Signature 002-5.JPG

JACKIE1-25-15

Quitting is doable.  Many here have.  It does take work in reprogramming the brainwashing that you think that you have to have a cigarette.  Start by telling yourself that you don't do that anymore when a craving comes will help.  Positive self-talk can go a long way.  I use to tell myself that I was a nonsmoker and started believing it.  Learn what your triggers are and prepare how to handle them prior to them occurring.   With a new attitude quitting is possible.  NOPE.  no one puff ever will keep you free. 

Education is the key to a successful quit. 

Cac1993

Hi There,

I recently quit smoking 12 days ago. I did have help with Chantix. I am 25 years old and I was already a 10 year smoker, smoking a pack a day, sometimes more. I started Chantix January 2nd. I began to cut myself back to half a pack, to five, to two cigarettes per day. On January 11th at 7pm I had a cigarette. This was a Friday night. Each morning I tried to put off having a cigarette as long as I could. Saturday morning I got up around 8, I kept putting off having a cigarette. Next thing I knew it was 10, then 12, then 3, etc. I had made it the whole day, something I had never done before. This just became a habit it’s like I’m on a streak and now I don’t want to stop and succumb and to smoking because I’ve made it so far. I also find that chewing gum helps me a lot and I’ve been drinking a lot of water. I also have avoided alcohol since starting this process as I know it will be a trigger for me. Good luck!!!