cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mykids

Today I stopped smoking today. What are things I can do to not think about it so much.

Need some help with this one. 

16 Replies
YoungAtHeart

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/17060-for-our-new-years-quitters-and-community-members-too

Here is a blog I wrote which includes links to information about this addiction, ways to avoid your associations and triggers, and a list of 100 things to do instead of smoke.

In these early days, it;s important to say busy and not let your mind take control of your thoughts of smoking.

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking.  It is one that you will never regret. 

I'm glad you are here!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  You've take the first step on a rewarding journey

Read, read, read.  There is so much on this site that will contribute to your success.  And there is an amazing support group to get you through if and when you need help.

maryfreecig

Because  you quit today, it's natural to be thinking about cigarettes---but to get beyond the dependency, accept that you are going to get better one day at a time. Stick with Ex--blog, read, learn. 

Welcome to Ex!  Congratulations on beginning your quit--keep the smober days coming.

virgomama

Congratulations on quitting!!!.  You've already been given some great suggestions..  be sure to read all the attachments everyone is sending you.  Theyre invaluable.  Hopefully you have your plan and quit kit ready.  I found cinnamon sticks, walking and deep breathing to be invaluable.  Especially that first week.  Nuts, fruits out on the counter for a quick grab when you're really craving.  Altoids, lemon drops, sour candies all work pretty well too.  The daily pledge is great  It helps keep you in touch with others who are quitting along with you and makes your pledge to not smoke stronger.  Good job and keep those freedom days coming.

mykids

Thank you. It is harder then I thought it would be. 

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Congratulations on Day 1 of your Quit and Welcome to Ex 

If you didn’t already, go to the home page and at the top click on getting started, read and actively answer the questions about your quit.  Aussiemom above gave you a great list of things to do...if in doubt, come here for support and to help others.

Drink lots of water to rid the nicotine from your body.  Hang in there, it’s a journey and it takes time.  Colleen aka sweetp

indingrl

Welcome and CONGRATS AND GOOD JOB! I use the Serenity Prayer- soon as OLD thoughts of using hit - USE DRUG NICOTINE   -   I pray this ....God grant ME the serenity to accept the things I cannot change - Courage to change the things i can and the Wisdom to know the difference - in MY Lord Jesus name amen - every time I felt the urge to use MY DRUG NICOTINE-   I would pray this prayer over and over until i calm MY MIND DOWN - it worked for ME- just passing on MY experience strength and hope to you to be HELPFUL- please take what HELPS and let go of the rest - thank you.   

elvan

Congratulations on your quit, please remember that it is a journey and not an event.  This cannot be rushed, it has to be one day at a time, it HAS to be one emotion or experience at a time.  You can do this and we are all here to help you in any way that we can.  Read, blog, ask for help just like you did...pay attention to the advice being offered and know that it is being offered to help.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen