cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

millon03

DAY ZERO

My name is Melissa. I am at day zero meaning tomorrow is my set quit date. I have been on Chantix since 01/14 and I just want to get on with it. I have been smoking since the summer of my 12th year and though I have been addicted to other things, which I have been able to leave behind, this is the addiction of my life.  I have tried to quit by every means possible and know now I was not willing to commit to any of those attempts.  The longest I have ever stopped using cigarettes was for 4 1/2 months.  I still remember how incredible I felt! I am now 54 years old and have smoked for 41 years and 9 months. When I was a much younger woman I watched as they took my grandmother off of the ventilators and the life leave her.  Yet I continued to smoke. I have toured a respiratory hospital and seen the wards filled with victims of cigarettes and smelled them, yet I continued to smoke. I have watched people smoke through a hole in their neck, yet I continued to smoke. People who don't smoke look at me sideways as I smoke and people who know me roll their eyes when I tell them I am going to try again, because they have heard this from me countless times. I wake up in the middle of the night because I can't breath and try to remember to inhale through my nose because the oxygen is more effective than through my mouth, until the fear and tension leave my chest. I think often of dying early, in one of those hospitals with tubes running through my nose and mouth, breathing for me. I am now thoroughly scared shitless.

These are my reasons and motivations. I know I can't do this alone but I do feel alone.  I live with smokers and there is nothing I can do about that. I have to do what I have to do for me. Thanks for reading and for being here. I think I am ready, I pray sincerely that I am this time!

Peace...

Tags (1)
15 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

"scared sh*tless" is a good place to start quitting smoking!  I quit smoking with Chantix, on my first ever attempt, so I can tell you quitting using it CAN be done.  I have now been quit for 6 1/2 years!  This isn't easy, but the better you educate, plan and prepare, the more successful you can be.  Spend the rest of today doing doing the reading I recommend, and do, at least for today, track the cigarettes you smoke, figure out why you lit it, and what you can do instead in that circumstance when you quit.  Later in the day, start to put each one you smoke off a little bit to prove just because you think you want a cigarette, you don't actually need it.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly, highly  recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” He illustrates that all we think smoking did for us is a lie.  It made the world of difference in how I thought about quitting.  This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. Here's a link to a video here on the site which describes nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barb102

You are never alone. I wrote a blog simply saying I feel so alone. The response back to a newbie like me was overwhelming. So many tips, things to read, things to do instead of thinking about cravings. Vick’s under nose worked for me. I also used the NRT patch and lozenges in the beginning. The daily pledge empowered me to have a hand to hold on to. It works. Years quit and the Elders still pledge. I join you in your quit. Take my hand and hold on tight

Barb

anaussiemom

Youngatheart.7.4.12 An excellent resource and go to for you millon03

Please read links and visit often

You CAN do this!   Lots of love and support here

Smiley-20Hello.gif

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  We're here for you if you need support.

maryfreecig

Thanks for telling your smoking story. And welcome to Ex. Your quit is your work as you have already said--but you don't ever have to be entirely alone in your smober journey. Ex is here 365. Blog as much as you like, read and comment as you see fit. The dependency is beatable one day at a time.  Yes you can, one day at a time.

sweetplt

Hi Melissa and Welcome to Ex...We are all here for you.   I too, am 54 years old and quit 49 days.  I have had many effects from smoking and a brain aneurysm survivor, however I went back to smoking.  I must tell you I want it so bad this time because not just early death, I don’t want to be sick and put my love ones through that and much of what you mentioned.  Work this site for everything it’s worth and we will be here for you.  You can do this Colleen aka sweetp

virgomama

million03 I want to address your living with smokers.  You have lots of good advice from those writing before me.  I too live with a smoker.  It carries a different weight with your own quit because the triggers are hard to escape.  I forewarn you about that.  This advice was given to me and I'm passing it on, because it really helped.  I talked to my partner about my quitting and asked him to support me by 1.  Making the house a non smoking house.  2.  keeping the cigs and ashtrays out of sight.  I used the logic that keeping the smoke out of the house was actually healthier for everybody concerned.  I also found that keeping a dab of Vicks vaporub under my nose helped to curb the cravings from the smell of smoke.  I ran a vicks steamer all the time with peppermint and eucalyptus oils which helped clear the smoke smell.  I also cleaned and washed fabrics that smelled like smoke.  fabreze and baking soda and water also helped.  

One night I found a half smoke cigarette inadvertently left in the ashtray during my 1st week.  I had to put in an emergency help blog to this site.  The suggestion given to me was don't waste any time trying to fight it, just put the thing under the faucet and douce it.  There is also a letter in The Best of Ex   called  A Letter to my Loved One you might find helpful.  

Whether you have roommates or are in a relationship, care enough about your quit to ask their support.  It will help.  

My best to you on your journey.  It is so worth it.

Cindy

indingrl

Wow you have really had a FACT facing life about YOUR OWN drug life with NICOTINE      using - you are a miracle! WELCOME and I am so proud of you and joy filled and I pray in MY Lord Jesus name for you too. Gentle hug for you too. Please take what HELPS  and let go pf the rest.

elvan

Welcome to EX, you have gotten stellar advice already, do the recommended reading and accept that quitting is a journey and it is one day at a time, sometimes, it is one experience at a time.  You can do this...smoking since you were 12 really means that you never learned to deal with life without stuffing your emotions...it's time to FEEL them.  You need to accept that it is okay to feel sad or angry or stressed or lonely or anything you can imagine...it is okay to FEEL without trying to stuff the feelings down, it is okay to cry, it is okay to laugh loudly and from your toes on up.  You are experiencing symptoms that sound an awful lot like COPD and I strongly advise you to see a pulmonologist and have pulmonary function testing.  I made an appointment after I had been quit for over a year and it took me MONTHS to get in.  I knew it was very likely that I had COPD, I did not know what I could do about it.  I can't reverse the damage but I can slow it down, I can stop it from advancing...by doing regular exercise, staying away from pollutants and allergens, and eating right. I was a nurse for many years so, like you, I saw lots of people who suffered from the results of smoking...like you, I was in denial that I was headed in that direction and I kept on smoking.  I did not start until I was 17 but I did not quit until I was 64, I had both upper lobes of my lungs surgically removed because of the damage.  I do not want to smoke any more, I haven't in over five years and it is the best thing I have ever done for myself.

You can do it too...

Ellen