cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DavesTime

"I Just Want to Feel Like Myself Again!"

"I just want to feel like myself again!"

Sound familiar? This thought--this painfully gnawing, progressively-building feeling--was, in one way or another, at the heart of every single one of my many, many previous attempts to quit smoking.  

Being a closet smoker for most of my life (from my first secret cigarette stolen from my mother's pack when I was 14 and all the subsequent decades of my smoking life) social situations weren't a major trigger for me.  I wasn't so much addicted to the social aspect of smoking--after all, if nobody knew I smoked I couldn't do it around them, so I learned to resist in those situations, surreptitiously popping in a Nicorette if I needed to fend off a craving.  But I was very much addicted to the physiological/psychological component of smoking. Whenever I tried to quit smoking in the past I'd last may be a couple of days, maybe even a week or two; one time I actually lasted over two years (though I still chewed nicotine gum heavily the whole time!).   

Why did I always end up turning once again to my chosen addiction?  Because deep down I just wanted to feel like I did when nicotine was flowing through my veins!  

I missed the pick-me-up that a good jolt of nicotine gave me.  For years, I started my day with my morning drugs, caffeine and nicotine, to help me wake up and get going.  But when I quit smoking one of those two was missing, and I just seemed to start out the day in a fog; it might or might not get less foggy as the day wore on.  I had trouble concentrating.  Now, this might be okay for an hour or two, but it would go on for hours, days, a week or more.  My work requires me to be able to focus, but I couldn't.  I was convinced that I had to feel like myself so I could do what I had to do, as I had always been able to do.  Better to smoke than to lose my job or have my reputation suffer.

Why did I always end up turning once again to my chosen addiction?  

I definitely missed that familiar, relaxing "ahhhh" feeling that I got when I took a drag, inhaled the smoke into my lungs, and blew it out.  It calmed me when I was stressed or upset.  It was a comfortable ritual when I finished a meal or shift at work.  It was a reward I looked forward to giving myself when I completed a task (a reward that seemed to become even more precious and anticipated the longer that task lasted!).  It was something that I had been doing for so many years, something that I had been feeling since I was a teen, something that had become so integrated into my physio/emotional/habitual life that I believed I not only wanted it--I needed it.  Without it I just did not feel like myself.  

Would I ever feel like myself again, would I ever enjoy this thing or that thing or that experience, would I always yearn for that "ahhhh" feeling?  Even if I didn't think of it as concretely as that, that was what my inner addict was telling itself.  And--usually sooner rather than later--I would give in and have a cigarette.  Or I would instead compromise and buy some nicotine gum (after all, it wasn't smoking!).  Of course, it was never just that one piece of gum or that one cigarette.  The gum would inevitably lead me to smoke a cigarette.  That one cigarette would lead me to buy a pack.  And another.  And another.  Yes, I was disappointed in myself for giving in; I would castigate myself for being so weak in the face of this addiction.  But at least I finally felt like myself again!!!

Or did I?

In hindsight, what I wanted was to feel like my addicted self, the self whose thoughts, emotions, and serotonin levels had been altered by years and years of nicotine dosing.  I didn't even remember what the real me, the non-addicted me, the 14 year-old Dave-who-had-yet-to-try-his-first-cigarette felt like.

"I just want to feel like myself again!"

It's now been over four months since I've smoked a cigarette or chewed a piece of nicotine gum, and twelve weeks since I stopped using a nicotine patch.  Do I still have that yearning to "feel like myself," to experience what I once believed nicotine would give me?  

For the most part, it has receded into the past.  Occasionally, when I find myself in a certain situation, that desire will briefly enter my mind.  But now I recognize it for what it is--for the lie it is!  To give into it would lead me back to the addiction I was immersed in for too many years.  I am slowly beginning to rediscover who the real "me" is, and that is the Dave I want to feel like.  

In the past four months I have joined a gym and begun exercising.  I have (for the first time in my life), been careful about what I eat and how much I'm eating.  I've lost nearly 30 pounds (and, to me at least, I never was obviously overweight!).  Oh, and I've quit smoking!  That's the new me--or I should say, the old me, rediscovered.

And I'm finally learning to feel like myself again!

10 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Wow! and a big congratulation to you.  what an amazing blog.  Thank you so much for sharing. Quitting smoking is a life changer for the better.  We just have to hold on until we get to the better side of the road to look back from the other side to see that the road we were on was not as wonderful as we thought it was.  This blog should be considered for the Best of EX Giulia

DavesTime

Thank you, Jackie!

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

Wow!   A very important insightful conversation.   Great job, on your writing, words, and detail of this article, and most of all your feelings. 
This helped me a great deal.  I can relate on so many levels. 

Thank You for sharing
 It is so needed for many.
 Congratulations!  All your successes, that you have achieved, in this quitting journey!!!

Hugs Kim

Barbara145

Great blog Dave.  I once quit for 3 months.  I started again because I wanted to "feel like myself."  This quit (over 5 years ago now.)  I just wanted to feel like myself but more than that I wanted to live.  I now feel like myself (it took a while.)  You are doing great.  You will feel more like yourself as time goes on.  You are doing great.

YoungAtHeart

And just THINK of all you have learned about the REAL Dave!  Exercising also ups the dopamine  - and it's such a good way to get it (btw - sex releases it, too!  )

Very insightful blog - I know it will resonate with many who are feeling exactly how you did - and responding in the old, usual way.

Kudos!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Great post Dave.  I'm so happy for your success.  You literally sound like a new person. 

Big congratulations.

Barb

elvan

What a wonderful blog, so positive and so insightful...you really nailed down the addiction part of feeling like yourself...that was never yourself, NOW, you feel like the best version of yourself, the REAL version of yourself.  Good for you, CONGRATULATIONS,

Ellen

maryfreecig

Great blog--I love the title--so true. Congrats on 4mo!!

Lasttimeagain

Dave, your story really resonated with me. There are so many similarities. I quit in September 15, so just over four months for me too. I also started at the age of 14 and in a previous post described the need to rediscover myself and learn to deal with stuff without nicotine since basically my entire life post puberty has had nicotine in it for the most part. Like you  I quit smoking for two years even, twice in fact, but they were both over 20 years ago. I quit smoking several times for months at a time and even up to 8 months last year. The thing that always brought me back was a desire to not feel limited... Now I realize that it was junkie thinking. My inner junkie convinced me that i was being deprived of something I really wanted and that I wasn't free of I wasn't free to smoke! Of course, that is nonsense since I am so much less free when I'm a slave to the nico demon. But my junkie self went to my core value of freedom and always told me that I was less free because I couldn't smoke. Most of the time that argument won out and got me back to smoking when I was drinking alcohol out with the guys one night. Anyhow, now I realize how foolish I have been to give into that voice and the ruse of freedom to smoke thinking. I too, like you, have returned to the gym and am down about 8 pounds, and feeling great. I love this version of myself, though I am still trying to figure out how to deal with the extra time I have now that I'm not smoking. Let's both get back to two years quit and then keep it going from there! NTAP!