cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Nanalori

Nothing taste good

Is it normal to not have appetite when first quitting? I have been sick all week so smoking hasnt been on my mind to much. Nothing taste good and its probably combination of not smoking and being sick. Today is day 5 almost a week, the nicorette patch has been a huge help

10 Replies
Mandolinrain

Personally I ate everything  when I quit because everything tasted amazing!

if your sick, I am guessing this could be why your appetite and taste buds are off. Make sure your getting plenty of fluids, water-water-water, was and still is my main beverage. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Congrats on maintaining your quit

YoungAtHeart

I agree with Missy - most of us experienced an improvement in taste (and smell) after we quit - so I think your lack of interest is due to being sick. I wasn't sure if by "nicorette patch it means you are using the patch or nicotine gum?  If  you are using the gum - that might affect your taste buds, too.

Congrats on making it almost through H#ll Week - that is  HUGE deal!

Nancy

Nanalori

I am using the patch... Funny thing- I was praying that God help me with kicking this nasty habit and I have had a terrible cold all week so the desire to smoke hasnt been more than I can handle.. 

YoungAtHeart

Have your distraction tools at the ready when you start to feel better.  Remember that slow/deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each, work anywhere, anytime; as does taking a sip of ice cold water.

Keep your mind and hands busy!

Nancy

Nanalori

I have puzzle ready to work on after I start feeling better. I thought that would keep my hands n mind busy

elvan

YoungAtHeart‌ is right AGAIN, give that lady a piece of chocolate.  I got sick many times while I was still a smoker and I would stop smoking UNTIL I felt better when my addiction would rear its ugly head and I would be convinced that it wasn't the smoking, after all, I was ALWAYS at much higher risk when I felt better.  I suggest that you try another prayer...my husband who is a recovering alcoholic told me when I was really struggling and thinking that I would NEVER stop thinking about smoking or NOT smoking, that I needed to get down on my knees and I needed to ask God to remove the mental obsession.  He said I HAD to get on my knees and that I might have to do it more than once but that he was certain it would help.  I will admit that I was not too confident about that but I did it, I had to repeat it but there was definitely a change in how I felt and how I viewed smoking.  This is a journey and we all have to try all kinds of things to stay on it, the important thing is to stay on it.  I hope you feel better and that the puzzle works well, I played a lot of computer games...they kept my mind and my hands occupied.  

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Hope you feel better soon. Congratulations on 5. Keep it coming!!!  Sounds like sickness has been your appetite killer.

elvan

I think it's early for you to have an improvement in taste but YoungAtHeart‌ certainly hit the nail on the head, if you are using nicorette gum, that could mess with your taste buds.  If not, I suspect it is because you are sick.  PLEASE pay attention to Mandolinrain‌'s advice and drink and drink and drink.  You need to be hydrated...you need to flush your system.  I am glad you reached out, I certainly hope you feel better soon.  I ate everything in sight after the first 10 days, I was seriously ill at the beginning so, like you, I had no appetite or energy either.  Once I felt better...WATCH out!  Like I said...everything in sight.  I so hope that you feel better soon.

Ellen