cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Tips for upcoming Q-date?

I am just beginning ANOTHER quit journey. I have been smoking since age 14 and just turned 46. My ex husband, father of my 11 year old girl, had a big stroke on January 2 at the ripe old age of 52. All the more reason to quit as I’m now a true “single parent” indefinitely. My daughter needs a healthy parent. I signed up for nicotine patches and I am waiting for my patches to arrive and have set my quit date for 1/21. I’m ready to be a true EX, once and for ALL. I am trying the patches on my heels this time because I heard that’s a way to get around having blistering skin reactions. Any advice on this? I want to vape CBD only and wean off nicotine with patches. Thanks in advance and I just KNOW I can succeed this time with a forum like this added to my arsenal.  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TW517

Not sure about the patches, but I also use CBD.  I chose the tincture over the vapor because I didn't want to re-enforce the cigarette smoking hand-to-mouth habit.  Plus, I just didn't want to put more junk into my lungs.  Welcome to EX!

Giulia

Howdy!  Best advice I can you is to read as much as you can on here.  If you haven't yet, set a quit plan (upper right) and check out the categories on that page.  Then head to Best of Ex.  Stick close to the community and continue to talk to us about your journey.  If you find a member who's blogs speak to you, head to their page where you can read through all their material.  There's a strong search engine here, so make use of it (magnifying glass upper right).  Glad you've joined us!

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX, what a motivation to quit smoking.  Please remember that quitting is not an event, it is a journey because this is an addiction.  I have never heard of using the patches on your heels...I walk around barefoot most of the time so mine are so calloused that I doubt ANYTHING could permeate them.  I have heard people say that generic patches from Walmart work just as well and stick better, not sure about the skin reaction either.  I didn't use anything when I quit.  I had more than one failed quit in the past but THIS time, the decision was pretty much made FOR me because I got seriously ill.  I had joined EX several months before but had not seriously committed to my quit.  This time was different...I had a plan, I read everything I could find on nicotine addiction, I got support from people who had been EXACTLY where I was, AND my commitment was absolutely resolute.  Giulia‌ has given you some great advice and I am sure that YoungAtHeart‌ will be welcoming you soon.  I suggest reading a blog written by JonesCarpeDiem‌ some time ago, I read it over and over again when I quit.../blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months  Keep reading, stay close to the site, track your cigarettes while you are still smoking and identify your triggers, they will still be there when you quit but if you plan for ways to deal with them without smoking, you will be much stronger.  One day at a time...that's how this is done.  I used the mantra NOPE Not One Puff Ever that I got from this site and it was so easy to remember and so simple and yet powerful, it helped me more than I can say.  

Welcome, glad that you are here.

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

Here is a blog I wrote that has links to lots of good information: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/17060-for-our-new-years-quitters-and-community-members-too 

I am not sure about vaping, even without nicotine - you will still be repeating the hand to mouth motion and putting more junk into your lungs - but whatever you think will work best for you is probably best.  Perhaps you could cut out the nicotine portion of the patch and attach it with paper surgical tape?  Just a thought!

I'm glad you are here!

Nancy

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Stay invested in your plan to quit by continuing to learn about nicotine addiction. One day at a time you can call your trial run quits a thing of the past and smober up one day at a time.