Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Robbinhunter

Is vaping the same as smoking

Is vaping the same as smoking

6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

It is smoking with a battery if you are getting juice with nicotine.  You will become an addict to the drug the same as if you were inhaling it from a cigarette.  They are only beginning to test the products for harmful effects, so you are taking a chance by inhaling the vapor and the flavors.  Jury is still out, but the testing so far has revealed some disturbing things about them.

We can help you quit, if you would like to do so.  Just let us know!

Nancy

anaussiemom

Personal experience...It is not a good outcome, in a matter of months for who I know who have vaped.

Giulia

What a really interesting question.  As a former smoker I would say beyond a doubt vaping is the same as smoking.  If I were a vaper, however, I'd probably say it wasn't.  What do YOU think?  

Here's why I think vaping is the same as smoking:  1) your hand-to-mouth behavior is the same.  2) if you're using a vape with nicotine you're mimicking smoking even more by getting a nicotine hit.  3)  Just because they've come up with a new term "vaping", doesn't mean the side effects - ultimately - will be any different.  Time will tell.  But essentially you're doing exactly the same thing as smoking, so just because they call it something else, does that make it different and ok???? 

Have people quit smoking using vape materials?  Sure.  The jury's still out on that, however.  Not enough time has elapsed for documented studies on that subject.  As to how many people have gotten off cigarettes through vaping.  Or maybe those stats are in and I'm just unaware of them.  

Are you interested in quitting smoking/vaping, or is this just a general question.

PS - I left out one important point:  supposedly ALL those 7,000 awful chemicals found in cigarettes aren't found in vaping.  But I have yet to discover what the chemicals are that are released in a vape.  How many years did it take for them to discovered the chemicals in a burning cigarette?  How many years will it take to discover the effects of vaping on the human lung?  

If I were considering becoming a vaper, these are the thoughts I think one needs to go through.  Education is what gives us our ultimate choices.

anaussiemom

I would ditto G"s  response to your question Robbinhunter 

AnnetteMM

I also Ditto Giulia but will add just this one little thing...it did help me quit because I put a time limit on it and I got rid of all the ashtrays and lighters and smoke smell in the house. But long term I'd say it's the same as smoking. I didn't consider myself "quit" until I actually QUIT all smoking entirely.

intervention

here's what the Public Health folks in England say.....