cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Getting at wits end

I’m now well into my 5th week of the 14mg patches and lozenges as needed.  What I am finding is NOW I want to smoke.  I’m tired of this half ass withdrawl and confused why my body has not adapted in all this time.  Why am I bothering?  I can’t breathe any better.  In fact my pulmonologist put me on more oxygen.  I want to live in the shower from cold sweats.  I want to sleep to escape the extreme depression.  My back is getting so bad that I can barely walk anymore.   The pain was bad before, but definitely more so since this quit.  If feeling suffocated wasn’t so horrible I’d probably say screw it and bail.  Last time I talked to my quit coach they said add more lozenges.  I haven’t because they feel like too much.  Like chain smoking and nauseous.  I was in the drug store and a woman there heard me say something about quitting and said what I hear here.  Best decision I could make.  Wish I felt that because I sure don’t this week.  50+ days, BFD.

66 Replies
Gwenivere

Oh, and there’s a myriad of other problems going on to tend to in this brain fog.  I’m surprised I can pull off being semi sane right now.  

0 Kudos
Sootie

Hello Gwenivere- I hope my response doesn't make things worse for you. I have read most of your blogs but I don't think (memory going!) that I have ever commented. I do know you are not interested in getting rid of the nicotine addiction....you rgoal is to stop actual smoking because of the breathing issues. So----I'm not sure what to tell you but I thought I would let you know someone is out here and "reading" you!

I know you said your pulmonologist put you on more oxygen.....that your breathing is no better. But----I'll bet your pulmonologist did not say..........go ahead and smoke. You're at a low point and I understand....I really do. But, sounds like you may have more lung damage than 50 days of quit can fix. 50 days is GREAT!!! FANTASTIC! But let's face it------we all smoked more than 50 days. The damage we inflicted on ourselves took years. So maybe....give it more than 50 days for some healing and feeling better?

And I'm sure you are saying "easy for you to say"----and I don't blame you. When someone on here is in the pain you are in, I do feel my words are sometimes insignificant. But I hope you will hang in. I know these are bad days and I will keep you in my prayers. But quitting smoking can only do you good.......it just takes awhile to get to the good.

Now----if you would permit me----may I just add an opinion that you can feel free to totally disregard? Just give some thought......just thought.....to actually stopping the nicotine. I feel as if you and your coach have come to believe that if you do, the withdrawal will definitely make you smoke. Why? Just asking.....really......no judgement. You have no more chance of smoking than the rest of us. So why not get off the nicotine? Smoking is bad.......but nicotine also is not a natural substance for our bodies. You will never really get the full benefit of quitting smoking if you don't get rid of the nicotine as well. Patches, lozenges and your poor body struggling with breathing problems. Wouldn't it be a relief to just be done with both? Yes, the withdrawal can be tough.....but not impossible! I think you feel like smoking because except for the cigarette.....you really haven't gotten rid of the "smoking". You are still waiting for something else----patch, lozenge---to make you feel good, feel better. I just don't think they are going to. I think you would feel much better without those un-natural substances in your body. ANYWAY----just my thoughts. I know that anyone can quit smoking and by that I mean the nicotine addiction too. And I know you can also.

However----I respect your choice and hope you know I only wish you well. One thing you said really struck me.......feeling suffocated is so horrible---------------------I GUESS SO! Please........stay strong with your quit from smoking and seek support here whenever you need it.

Gwenivere

Thank you, Sootie.  I have thought about cutting the nicotine out completely.  My longer term goal.  Since this quit was forced on me, no prep time, I just wanted to not be inhaling anything but air as a start.  I actually couldn’t have envisioned this long or at all.  I just get so darned frustrated that my body will not accept this only way it’s going to get what it wants.  I’m also so worn out from so many things I don’t think I could handle doing a cold quit now.  I don’t have my partner anymore to pick up the slack on anything like the dogs, keeping a livable house, buy food.  

My pulminologist thinks this is a progression of my existing disease (not caused by smoking, but certainly not helped by it) and very happy I’m not smoking, but she wants to do infusions that will lower my immune system to calm inflammation.  Problem is they contain steroids which I cannot tolerate and if I could, leave me more vulnerable to infections.  It’s all very confusing to me.  

I appreciate your hearing me tonight and your thoughts.   

MarilynH

I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this but I'm also very proud of you for your 50+ Smokefree days that's wonderful, keep moving forward stacking up those precious DOF it's definetly going to take time to relearn life without the smokes BUT boy oh boy it's so worth it. ....

Barbscloud

Gwen, wish there was someway to make this easier for you.  I know you're really having a difficult time, but 50+ days is quite an accomplishment.  Try focusing on your success, because it's pretty amazing that you're not smoking with all these stressors.   Not smoking can only be beneficial, even though it make take some time for you to feel it.

Barb

Gwenivere

I was once a patient, overly so, person.  This thing sure took that away.  

sweetplt

I am so oh sorry you are feeling this way hon.  I feel whether you smoke or not you would be feeling sick.  And I can only think smoking would make it worse.  It is the nicodemon wanting you to believe his lies.  Could you along with not breathing well etc be experiencing anxiety on top of everything?  I have asthma and when I have attack I get double whammy can’t breath then along the way (not to mention medicine for breathing) I get anxiety.  Just throwing out to you because I hurt for you...gotcha in my heart. 

Gwenivere

Yes, I have Panic Disorder.  30 years now and on meds for it.  Always gets worse in high stress situations.  I think this qualifies. I hear you on the asthma, it is a double whammy and the. Worst feeling.  Thank you for your observation.  Spot on.

AnnetteMM

confused why my body has not adapted in all this time

What did you expect your body to do, stop wanting nicotine? That's not how addiction works! As long as you feed the nicotine receptors in your brain, the addiction is active. Feed the addiction and it triggers withdrawal.  You won't be completely done with it until you're completely done with it.