cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Going out tonight

Today is day 32 and I'm feeling fairly confident. I played cards last Thursday night and took my cinnamon sticks with me because at least one of the other folks smokes (outside). Plus, I used to smoke pretty heavily on card playing night (inside usually). Anyway, that was before Christmas. This is now. 

I have two cinnamon sticks in my pocket and taking a bag of grapes. I'm pledging to myself that there will be no smoking by me tonight. I'm not responsible for what others are doing to their bodies, but I sure can save mine. 

12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

If they don't know already, you might tell them that you have quit.  Hopefully, they will honor it and smoke as little as possible.  You might ask them to go outside, but don't guess that is likely since they have traditionally been smoking while playing cards inside.  Make a decision before you go that you will make your excuses and leave if it gets too difficult.  Your quit is just too fragile still.

You might also get some Vicks to put under your nose to negate the smell and remind you when you inhale that smell  that you have quit.

Can't wait to celebrate another Day Won with you!

Nancy

Mandolinrain

VICKS was SO helpful for me. I used the inhaler when I didn't want to smell like a medicine chest. You may also want to freeze some grapes.  So happy you will be at EX7....YAY....I cannot wait to meet everyone

elvan

You have come so far, I am really proud of you and happy for you...I agree with YoungAtHeart‌ and Mandolinrain‌...the Vicks is a great idea but PLEASE give yourself permission to leave if you are at all uncomfortable.  Protecting your quit is your number one priority, it HAS to be in order to survive.

Ellen

JACKIE1-25-15

WTG you got this.  Come back and give us an update. 

Strudel

You are prepared - that is so important! Congrats on 32 days! Keep doing what you are doing - planning ahead and staying close here - you are doing this! You will have 5 months when we meet you in May! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I'm sure it went well.  Preparing is the key,

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Let’s us know...the second week quit had to have event and my house and I did like you prepared for it.  Also, I told all I quit smoking.  Only one person smoked in group, but she choose not to that evening.  (Not outside of course). Anyways, I made it , but realized I could do it and did but was fragile in my quit.  Since, I have been a bit of a hermit, but taking baby steps out.  Hope it went well and you had a great non smoking night.

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

First of all, I love that others use Vicks. I have been using a dab here and there when I go to bed. I'd never thought of it as an odor buster for other smokers smells. 

Okay, here's the update. 

I did not smoke. I took 2 cinnamon sticks with me and also some almonds I had roasted with a touch of honey and salt as my munchie food. (I'm also on a special diet at the moment, so brought my own snacks.) 

My sister went out 3 times to smoke. My observation is that there was no impetus for her getting up and getting her jacket other than she needed/wanted that cig. When she came in, the smell was gross; it didn't tempt me in any way. The action of her getting up and going out didn't tempt me. 

Today I embark on day 33 with one more success under my belt. victory-is-mine.jpg

elvan

CONGRATULATIONS on making it through AND on your observations of your sister's addiction at work.  Good for you!

Ellen

0 Kudos