cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mark_g

hard? sorta, in a way

besides thinking about it everyday and all day long, it aint too bad lol, but what do u expect, i did this to myself so its my job to climb back out, id rather think about not smoking a cig then thinking about quitting, what do u all think about that?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Brittney4

I will agree with you mark! The only thing I've been doing is thinking about quitting and it's getting so hard! I keep thinking how hard it's going to be instead of how well I will do. I AM going to quit smoking so I need to start having a better attitude towards quitting!
0 Kudos
cyndi-daniel

I know exactly what you mean, It is the hardest thing I have wanted to do in a long time. I need to quit for my health and my family! I just have a hard time, In the mornings,as I get up, I tell myselt that i'm not going to do it, but I do. I need some support regarding my smoking!!!!
0 Kudos
jennifer55

3rd day trying to quit and so far so good. I didnt buy any cigarettes..so I dont have any to smoke. But it is hard to concentrate at work. Sitting here staring at the clock and thinking about how this is normally my smoke break time. Telling myself I am not ready to quit and I am only going to fail in the end so why not got get some cigarettes. Then fighting with myself because I really want to quit. Talking myself out of going to buy any. If I can just stay away from any stores/gas stations etc for a few weeks..lol. I think dwelling on the fact that I will quit forever this time is what is making me want to smoke "just one more". Forever is a long time. Funny thing is I hate the way my clothes smell after smoking, hate that I can only date smokers (which means I will never quit) because non-smokers are grossed out,hate that my hourly schedule is ruled by this little cigarette...really hate everything about smoking and want to quit this bad habit for good...but as soon as I say that I want to smoke more because I am losing my "crutch" where will my stress reliever be. Do I even make sense or is it the cravings talking right now????
0 Kudos
jennifer55

Okay today didnt do as well as it thought. Started off good but afternoon everything came crumbling down. I think when I get in the car coming home and relaxing at home is when it it the hardest. Is it because I am not super busy like at work?? How do I fight the cravings when there is nothing to keep me occupied? Like right now...my son is asleep..just watching tv and fighting to not head outside. Any suggestions for the quiet times? Heading into the weekend and that makes me nervous. I am struggling now...on the weekend will be around my brother that smokes and 2 days of quiet time.
0 Kudos
jennifer55

Yeah mornings are rough too. I did manage to get past the wake up and light a cigarette. Now I can get ready, take my son to school then light up. Yesterday I did fine all the way until noon. Then little slips here and there and pretty soon I realized at 10 at night I went from 1 cigarette to 8-9...grrrrr. I am trying to figure out what I can do this weekend to stay occupied. Maybe it is time for Spring Cleaning..lol.
0 Kudos
Brittney4

I was reading some of the replys on this post and I will copy '100 things to do' that I found on someone else's page. Please, you really can do this! Just take some things off the list and do them, one right after the other and they will lead to other things you can do! GOOD LUCK!!!

1. Read a book.
2. Wash the car.
3. Wash the dog.
4. Go for a walk.
5. Knit a scarf.
6. Do a crossword puzzle.
7. Take a nap.
8. Call a friend.
9. Post a comment on my page
10. Play with the cat.
11. Turn the bathroom into a spa and do all those beauty treatments.
12. Listen to a relaxation tape or some favorite music.
13. Go to a store and get a free make-up session.
14.Give yourself a manicure and pedicure.
15. Try out a new hair-do
16. CHEW SOME CLOVES!
17. Go to the movies.
18. Hang out at a mall.
19. Do a jigsaw puzzle online at Jigzone.com
20. Breathe deeply!
21. Swig down some ice water.
22. Jump on a treadmill or go to a gym.
23. Give someone you love a huge hug.
24. Plant some flowers.
25. Do some exercise - swimming, aerobics, yoga, etc. Great for releasing endorphins (feel good factor) and relieving stress (physical and mental).
26. Work out how to post a picture in the forum!
27. Take up a new hobby/interest - channel your thoughts into something constructive and interesting.
28. Work in the garden.
29. Retail therapy with the cash you saved from not smoking.
30. Suck on a piece of TART candy (Jolly Rancher is my personal favorite).
31. Slather on a rich, creamy hand lotion and rub, rub, rub! It keeps fingers busy, and reminds you how nice it is not to have tobacco stink on them.
32. Eat a popscicle.
33. Floss and brush your teeth.
34. Make-out with your special someone! Hubby hated kissing me when I smoked, but now he LOVES it. Soooo, when the urge strikes and he's within kissing distance, I plant a big one on him!
35. Chew gum.
36. Chew a toothpick (shiny teeth).
37. Spend time with a kid.
38. Give yourself a treat every day of your quit - not matter how small.
39. Spend an hour filling the paddling pool in the garden on a gorgeous sunny day, only to find that the kids would rather play on the computer.
40. Play several games of Internet Scrabble, and hopefully win one!
41. Walk in an old graveyard with the man you love.
42. Get your jammies on early, and park yourself in front of your computer for the night.
43. Build a REAL closet
44. Hang the sheetrock on said closet.
45. Do the mudding, taping and sanding on that closet.
46. Paint the closet.
47. Add the doors to the closet.
48. And last...when the real closet is finished, create THE CHOCOLATE CLOSET on this site.
49. Hang on dearly to a caramel apple sucker.
50. Sing loudly.
51. Practice smiling in the mirror (releases endorphins)!
52. Make lists of pros and cons of smoking.
53. Find gross smoking disease pictures.
54. Play with Silly Putty.
55. Whistle "Don't Worry - Be Happy."
56. Get a camera, and take some pictures.
57. Write a letter (you know...on paper).
58. Clean OUT the closets.
59. Crank up the radio and sing at the top of your lungs (works great for driving craves).
60. Crank up the radio and dance like no one is watching. 61. Make a puzzle.
62. Organize your boxes of pictures.
63. Alphabetize your CD rack.
64. Come here and read and post.
65. Go to miniclip.com and PLAY GAMES.
66. Do your nails. Hard to smoke with wet nails. I've tried.
67. Take a shower.
68. Take a candle-lit bath.
69. Clean out a messy drawer.
70. Take a day trip.
71. Try making home-made candles or soap.
72. Run in place.
73. Do some jumping jacks.
74. Start a reward fund - put away the amount you spend on smokes every day and use it to treat yourself once in awhile.
75. Write a poem.
76. Go antique shopping.
77. Go plant a flower for every negative thought.
78. Go to church/talk to God.
79. Let your husband cook supper for you.
80. Call your Grandmother!
81. Paint a room.
82. Eat a hot fudge sundae.
83. Go play mini-golf.
84. Clean the basement or garage.
85. Wax the car.
86. Make love with your significant other.
87. Scrub the floor.
88. Treat yourself to a massage.
89. Chop up some veggies for a stir-fry - keep your hands busy!
90. Clean out the litter box.
91. Check your car's tire pressure.
92. Call a radio show and request a song.
93. Go ride a few rollercoasters.
94. Take a walk in nature.
95. Watch the sun set.
96. Write a goodbye letter to cigarettes
97. Donate blood.
98. Color your hair.
99. Make a greeting card.
100. Write a list of things you are grateful for
0 Kudos
jennifer55

Thanks for the list!!! I will have to go through it when I am sitting at home debating on whether to go outside. Just go down the list one by one:)
0 Kudos
cyndi-daniel

I know exactly what you mean! Night time is the worse for me, During the day I stay busy and don't even thing about smoking, But at night, When watching T.V. and doing nothing else, I am always finding myself going staight toward striking one up! Like tonight I went all the way "till 10:00 P.m. Then I ended up smoking!
Every morning, When I get up I promise myself that I will not smoke, And I always end up doing it!!!!! I need your support!!!!!
0 Kudos
cyndi-daniel

You are so right! There are many things that I could be doing to keep my mind of smoking!!! The list is exactly what I need to keep myself occupied!!!!!
thank you so much for this......................
0 Kudos