cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sarah16

Tips for cold turkey?

I put out my (hopefully) last cigarette yesterday, March 5, 2009, after 7 years. I want to try cold turkey so I'm hoping to get some tips and tricks on how to stay smoke free without patches or gum. I've tried the patches before but didn't like the way they made me feel even after switching to a lower dose. I've never been a huge gum chewer (my dad is a dentist so I grew up hearing how bad gum is for your teeth and just never was a big fan) so I don't know how much that would help me. Any ideas?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
sandra5

Hi Sarah -- Go to the bookstore and buy audio book by Allen Carr "Easy Way to Stop Smoking". I put all 5 discs in my vehicle CD changer - actually the evening of Day 1 Iistened to it at home. You know what -- I'm still making it just fine -- its late in the day on my 4th Day as a Non-Smoker! Good luck to you!!
erica2

I feel the same way about gum... I know it sounds silly coming from a smoker, but I really think it's unnatural to keep the same piece in your mouth for very long. I quit yesterday also, but I am using the patch. However, I've smoked for ten years, and this is really hard. Luckily I have my son on my side. One tip is that I've started munching on the healthy snacks I usually have for my son... carrot sticks, trail mix, crackers. I've found that I really only need to eat a couple of bites before the craving goes away. Hope that helps!
0 Kudos
ross

I have done it with the help of the patch and so far been great. If you feel like your mouth is bitter, brush, chewing gums help as well. I try lemonade a couple of times a day helps me. I hope my little tricks helps you as well. YOU CAN IT, good luck
Ross
0 Kudos