cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

terika1986

Stop smoking

Hello my name is terika and  i been smoking for15 years and i think its time to give up

6 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Hi Terika

Welcome to EX, Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. You have comeTo have come to the right place. Start, by educating yourself about nicotine addiction because education is the key to a successful quit.  Go to my  My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  to view the videos and learn about your triggers and tracking your smokes.  If you have already qui...  to learn how to navigate around the site.   Plus Understand the law of addiction."

Law of Addiction 

Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101   Here are the links      http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/  

Also Read   Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.  Which can be purchased of found pdf format on the internet.

Giulia

Welcome Terika!  Yup, 15 years of smoking is definitely enough.  And time to let go of it and move on to a different YOU!  This isn't an easy journey, but how you perceive it is generally how it will go for you.  So hang out here, read blogs, get acquainted with yourself in a new way.  Because the quitting journey will definitely give you a new perspective on yourself.  Think of this as a monumental mountain to climb and it will be.  Think, rather, that this is an incredible gift of a challenge that will uplift you and teach you things you never knew about yourself - and you will be more delighted by the journey.  Whatever the case - rejoice in our decision to "go for it!"  

AnnetteMM

Welcome! 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex!

elvan

Welcome terika1986

Good for you, quitting is the best possible gift you can give to yourself.  Education, support, and commitment will bring you through any rough spots.  The more you know about this addiction, the better and if you do the reading as suggested by JACKIE1-25-15‌, that will put you on the right road.  You can set a date and make a quit plan, you can find all kinds of support here.  The commitment has to come from you...once you start this journey,  don't smoke, no matter what.  There will be good days and bad days, just like there are when you are smoking but your initial response to the bad days is likely to be..."I want a cigarette"...you have to remind yourself that you don't do that anymore...that's a phrase from this site: "I don't do that anymore."  I used the mantra NOPE, Not One Puff Ever to get me through some rough spots...I said it over and over and over again and, along with the support from this site and everything I learned about this addiction, I have been able to stay free.  I suggest reading a blog written by JonesCarpeDiem‌ that I read over and over again when I quit: /blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months 

Again, welcome.

Ellen

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome...you took the first step and realize it’s time to quit smoking.  Now it’s time, choose a quit date and prepare for that day.  Go to becomeanex.org and read and follow information to start this journey.  Knowledge is power, but preparation is a key.  We are in this together and will help you.  In helping each other, we get stronger in our quit and the nicodemon gets weaker.   Congratulations on your decision to take back your freedom. ❤️Colleen aka sweetp