cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Doing ok for now?!

My quit date is January 21st.  That seems soooooo far away because my mind is telling me I can still smoke. I've been cutting back and not smoking all day while at work. Should I set my quit day sooner?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
YoungAtHeart

No reason to wait if you have done the recommended reading, prepared with a tool kit including a list of distractions, and a plan for what you will do instead for the  "important" associations/triggers.  You also should plan how you will change up your routines so the associations/triggers are reduced.

If you have done all that, then go for it!  If not - get started!!!

Thanks! I will write all my things down and get everything ready this weekend. So far I have just been keeping up with what I will do in my head, but I will be more successful if I have a written reminder 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

It's better to keep a few ideas in writing.  In the event of a major crave, it's easier just to look at the list than to try to think of something else to do.  Some folks have also written Post-It notes with encouraging sayings, or things to do, or even the reasons you are quitting.  Whatever you think will be helpful for YOU is what you want to do.  You might also get some sugar free mints or gum, some straws cut up in cigarette lengths to fiddle, an insulated cold water bottle which you will keep filled and with you at all times.  The better prepared you are, the easier this will go.

elvan

I wrote down my triggers and I planned for what I would do instead of smoking when they occurred, I KNEW they would occur.  Having that list helped me...I didn't really have to look at it, it was enough to have written it down.  Once I started tracking my cigarettes, I became much more aware of what they were NOT doing for me.  I used the mantra, NOPE, Not One Puff Ever to get and keep my quit going.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Tabbiekat

Only you can decide if you need to quit sooner. Look at your quit date as the "must quit by" and that might help your mindset too. For my initial quit I also switched up my routine as my quit date approached. Wait an hour or two beyond when you would normally have your first sickarette of the day, or instead of right after a meal do something else. I think for me changing up my routine did help when I quit since I was already adjusting my routine to that of a non-smoker.

Stay close  and keep us posted

Tabbie